• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Some changes Im making...LEDS?

BEFE

So I have the 2005 H2 Luxury pkg. pretty sure anyhow. Picked it up 6/30/17 I have been working on blacking it out. Replaced the door handles (pita) plastidipped the rear license plate bracket and mirrors. Currently only thing left with chrome are the rims and grill. Looking to try out gator guard II for the grill and front and rear metal bumpers. I also have 5100 bilsteins on the way and am debating getting LEDs for headlights. My lens housing is not looking so good and Im looking at replacing the housing as well as the lamps. Anyone have info on LEDs and how theyve been working for them. These are what Im looking at:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2x-7-105W-CRE...%3A75dba0e015d0a99487859f5bfff9fc3b%7Ciid%3A1

Curious on thoughts or experiences.

Thanks guys

Carrera911

I have a couple 95 dollar led headlights from Amazon. I also plasti dipped the grille and installed 4 cubes in the brackets I sell on eBay. The headlight buckets needed a little trimming but nothing major.
4922bd18610a45a935f7e7e7b764b8b9.jpg

fc5e748cd30a3a6813af0e3f69cde67f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BEFE

How do the LEDs light up the road? They pretty much plug n play on the install other than the trim? The ones I am looking at come with 4" fogs that would go in the DRL hole. Like the bracket idea though. You ad a switch for those Im guessing. Im really looking at this because my lens housing ate all weathered pretty bad.

Carrera911

The headlights themselves are about the same as the stocks on low. The high beam is a decent improvement. You have to take off the front grille and trim the buckets. I got adapters that convert the stock plug to the standard led plug. I also had to tap the running lights for the running lights on the new headlights. I considered those fog lights but I'm not huge on the look and they are 4 inches vs the stock 4.5 which doesn't really fill the hole well. The 4 cubes make a huge difference in lighting though. Not only in distance but you can see 100+ feet either side of the road for deer etc. I tapped into the high beam wire which triggers a relay for the cubes. I don't like adding tacky switches inside and this works well because I prefer to use them as an ultra high beam anyway.

Last edited:

BEFE

Thanks for the info Carrera. Where did you mount the 4cubes? Did you replace the DRLs? You built a new circuit off the hi beam, I like that idea.

Carrera911

I mounted the cubes in the brackets I sell like in the pic above. I haven't replaced the DRLs yet but the blue drls in the headlight make the yellow lights took terrible. I'm considering led lights that are drop in replacements for the stock lights.
All I did for the cubes was mount a relay to the side of the engine bay fuse box. I tapped the ground from the factory ground by the tow hook and the positive from the main input within the fuse box with an additional inline fuse. Then tap the trigger from the high beam wire which will cause output power from the fourth pin on the relay.

Last edited:

BEFE

Those brackets solid? The plubber bumpers that are there stock are, well on my H2 soft n loose lol. Havent really looked to close at em. Kinda hope they fall off.

clubhunt

8b192bab4f76e5cdd74a864de94c7788.png

These are all halogen lights. This happened when I was driving up to Minnesota, driving through freezing fog and the edges of all the lights started to freeze.

BEFE

Just got a quote from linex. 600$ for the front lower metal bumper, rear lower metal bumper and grill, thats if I remove and prep. 1000$ if they do everything. 1/16" thick coating. Not to impressed with that quote.

BEFE

Haha I was thinking that is a bit high. I have heard there is someone in SC that does vortex. I may cruise down and see what they charge. Gotta find em first though.

MixManSC

I have posted a good bit about some truly awesome LED headlights on the other Hummer forums. Should be easy enough to find. That being said..... I've seen the same about LED headlights in freezing climates before and really do not have a good answer for that. I know there is at least one name brand 7" LED headlight that is heated just for that reason. No idea on which though but I'm sure they are very spendy as all the name brand ones like JW Speaker, Truck Lite, etc are. The factory halogen headlights are straight up garbage and just suck very bad. Staying with halogen there is one specific model of an aftermarket (I think Hella) 7" and bulbs that is a big improvement I read about on a Jeep board. Again - something you would have to find. The LED ones I have are truly better than any HID's (not cheap crap, true proper projectors with quality ballasts and bulbs) I've ever had and the rear does get quite hot on them but I'm not sure that the lenses would get hot enough to deal with tons of freezing sleet and snow. I live down south so not really an issue for me though.

BEFE

Thanks for the info MixMan. I have been doing more reading and it sounds like a pretty common issue with no resolution other than clean em off every hour or when needed, spray with pam etc. Found a lot of good info on some tractor/trailer forums as well. Not sure what Im going to do at this point. I do know that I got my new shocks that will be going in soon, Bilstein 5100's. Also am looking at Eastwoods rust inhibitor for the frame. Got a list of other minor things.

clubhunt

I believe that would push the wheel out about an inch because I believe factory has 5.5 backspace. Personally I like the factory over those but to each their own.