• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Likley new owner questions

HighpsiV6

Hi everyone, thinking about buying another H3 (and probably will ). We had an 07 some time ago and the one under consideration now is an 06 base model with a few suspension issues. Under acceleration it has a bad vibration/shake as if it has square tires! There is also a clunk under the floor when turning. I think it is probably the notorious diff. bushing which does appear to have alot of play in it. My concern is replacing just the crossmember bushing may not cure the entire issue, I may need to do all 3. The other 2 however, don't appear to be loose. I know this is a fairly vague description as I haven't had alot of seat time in it, but to the several here that have had the same or similar issue and replaced their bushings, what was/were the symptom/symptoms you were experiencing and which bushings cured the symptom?

Also, the OEM headlights and foglights have the typical "frosted" covers from sunlight. I have seen factory replacements on ebay that aren't very expensive but if I'm replacing them anyway, why not make them better! Is there an aftermarket supplier for quality housings and bulbs that anyone can recommend?

Thank you for any suggestions!

lowtrac

Your description of the clunking sounds like diff bushings. You can get OEM style bushings on eBay now, but you'll get a lot of people on here recommending either the Scorpworks crossmember replacement:

http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/for...H3T-Scorpworks-Bushing-Front-Diff-Crossmember

Or the Outfitter Design DIY kit:

http://www.outfitterdesign.com/do-it-yourself-front-differential-bushing-kit.html

Not sure about the vibrations. What condition are the tires in?

I'm not aware of any aftermarket bolt-in headlights. I've seen some people on here that modded their own from other parts, but it takes some work.

Last edited:

HighpsiV6

Thanks for your input lowtrac! The tires are 285/75 16 Nittos. They have a fair amount of tread, however, they are a little chopped. That wouldn't cause what I'm feeling though. It's like the suspension is moving around, just not sure if it could all be caused by the one bushing. Ball joints and tie rods are good and it has a newer rack...maybe the diff is going out, not sure. I guess I'll start with the crossmember bushing and see what happens. Can you send a pic of the Scorpworks bushing? For some reason I can't find one that I can open with this computer. The headlight mod doesn't scare me, just want to end up with BETTER lighting. Not cheesy, dim, blue headlights from overseas that every 16 year old puts in their Honda!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Typically you get one clunk from the diff bushing vs repeated. Meaning it will clunk when you begin to accelerate or begin to stop, but typically won't do it repeatedly as you accelerate. Diff bushing may be bad but I'd look at other things too, like the prop shaft CV.

Haven't seen many (any?) fogging issues with the H3 lenses but also haven't seen anything other than "normal" OEM-style replacements.

HighpsiV6

[h=2]Called Dwaine Jungen at the number in the post and it went directly to VM and the mailbox is full. I'll try to PM him. Is he still offering these??[/h]

Last edited:

HighpsiV6

Haven't heard from him yet and I'm wanting to get the bushing replaced soon, the daughter is becoming impatient as she will be driving in some. I'll try to contact Outfitter Designs later today. If anyone here has input regarding either fix, please let me know!

HighpsiV6

Typically you get one clunk from the diff bushing vs repeated. Meaning it will clunk when you begin to accelerate or begin to stop, but typically won't do it repeatedly as you accelerate. Diff bushing may be bad but I'd look at other things too, like the prop shaft CV.

Haven't seen many (any?) fogging issues with the H3 lenses but also haven't seen anything other than "normal" OEM-style replacements.

Thanks alrock, I'll be looking at that...

HighpsiV6

Thanks for the info alrock. That appears to be an incredibly difficult event. My hat is off to Dwaine and his team.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
BTW, I didn't post that to sway your decision or resolution, just to let you know that he's unreachable for a while. Sounds like you need to go another direction.

wally9

Thanks for the info alrock. That appears to be an incredibly difficult event. My hat is off to Dwaine and his team.

Another alternative will be Jeeperf. Check them out for their differential bushings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr_Rich

U-joints! An incredibly neglected and yet critical part. Sometimes you can't tell how bad they are until you have the driveshafts on a bench and you start taking everything apart. DSCN0939.jpg

Happy Hummer

I personally would look for another H3. I'd go with an 08 or up. Besides there are many H3's out there and some are better maintained than others.

Hi everyone, thinking about buying another H3 (and probably will ). We had an 07 some time ago and the one under consideration now is an 06 base model with a few suspension issues. Under acceleration it has a bad vibration/shake as if it has square tires! There is also a clunk under the floor when turning. I think it is probably the notorious diff. bushing which does appear to have alot of play in it. My concern is replacing just the crossmember bushing may not cure the entire issue, I may need to do all 3. The other 2 however, don't appear to be loose. I know this is a fairly vague description as I haven't had alot of seat time in it, but to the several here that have had the same or similar issue and replaced their bushings, what was/were the symptom/symptoms you were experiencing and which bushings cured the symptom?

Also, the OEM headlights and foglights have the typical "frosted" covers from sunlight. I have seen factory replacements on ebay that aren't very expensive but if I'm replacing them anyway, why not make them better! Is there an aftermarket supplier for quality housings and bulbs that anyone can recommend?

Thank you for any suggestions!