• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

07 h3 6.0 swap

Humvee3

Thanks for the add !, I'm currently in the process of getting everything i need for the swap , but still had some questions about what trans to use on the 6.0 . should I keep the 4l60e that's in it and swap out input shaft , add speed sensor, swap pan and bellhousing ? Or can I bolt up the 4l65e directly to the 6.0 and just swap valve body and pan ?

Any help is appreciated ! Sure this has been discussed before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperBuickGuy

My transmission guy says 4L65e or update your 4L60e with the straight-cut gears from the 65. I've been considering this swap in my 08 Alpha (which is why I have knowledge). My only limiting point is my lack of knowledge about using a 24x tooth motor in a 58x application....

Humvee3

My transmission guy says 4L65e or update your 4L60e with the straight-cut gears from the 65. I've been considering this swap in my 08 Alpha (which is why I have knowledge). My only limiting point is my lack of knowledge about using a 24x tooth motor in a 58x application....

Awesome , yea I'll prob just use the 4l65e since it will be stronger , and I won't have to tear down so much , for my year truck and I'll prob use an 07 up ly6 it's recommended to use 58x more accurate readings to the pcm I believe gm switched from 24x from 06 up but not completely sure. If you use an older motor I believe you will need to use 24x

RamRod

I would recommend building up your 4l60e at a minimum.

Personally I am looking to go the 6L80e route once I start having problem (again) with my OEM 4L60e (it doesn't like the power added by the supercharger)

Humvee3

I would recommend building up your 4l60e at a minimum.

Personally I am looking to go the 6L80e route once I start having problem (again) with my OEM 4L60e (it doesn't like the power added by the supercharger)

What all would be needed to make it work on the 6.0 ? And would it be able to last with the added power ?

amrg

On my engine swap the transmission band anchor broke in the first 50 miles (om a 100K mile trans)
1 trans rebuild later with stock parts the band friction material wpre out within 2K miles....
So now im in the middle of another rebuild with upgraded parts.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Humvee3

On my engine swap the transmission band anchor broke in the first 50 miles (om a 100K mile trans)
1 trans rebuild later with stock parts the band friction material wpre out within 2K miles....
So now im in the middle of another rebuild with upgraded parts.

Which trans did you use ?

CaseyS

If I were to do a V8 swap I'd go straight to 6L80e.

Because of some Hummer specific parts in the transmission, you are going to have to make a hybrid. Either get a 4l60 or 4l65 from an LS application and swap the specific parts into the valve body and pan, or rebuild your 60 up to 65 spec.

Edit: I think my second paragraph partially answered your original question. Either path would work.

Last edited:

amrg

I reused my H3 alpha trans. Basically the V8 4l60e as I swapped from 5.3 to 6.2

Humvee3

If I were to do a V8 swap I'd go straight to 6L80e.

Because of some Hummer specific parts in the transmission, you are going to have to make a hybrid. Either get a 4l60 or 4l65 from an LS application and swap the specific parts into the valve body and pan, or rebuild your 60 up to 65 spec.

Edit: I think my second paragraph partially answered your original question. Either path would work.

Ok just want to be clear , so your saying just jump to the 6l80e and swap the valve body and trans pan and be donee with it ? I believe that trans has a speed sensor on it already correct ? So I would just need to add pins for the harness to work on the h3 correct ?

amrg

A 6l80e swap is abit more involved than this, you will need to replace the output shaft to one that works with the H3 xfercase and a standalone controller or a module to work with the H3 computers. But no need for a pan swap or create new cross members

CaseyS

Let me clarify, is this an I5 to 6.0 conversion or a 5.3 to 6.0 conversion? If you are going I5 to 6.0 then you are doing ecu and harness swaps anyway so it's just an output shaft and custom adapter on the 6l80e to get going.

Humvee3

Let me clarify, is this an I5 to 6.0 conversion or a 5.3 to 6.0 conversion? If you are going I5 to 6.0 then you are doing ecu and harness swaps anyway so it's just an output shaft and custom adapter on the 6l80e to get going.

Yes it's a 5l to 6.0 so awesome I'll probably go that route then .

fanugy

6.0 is same size as the 5.3. My LS swap is done in the engine compartment, but I haven't installed the rest of the front end yet.

SuperBuickGuy

the value is the pan - the rest is simply a 4L60e (the alpha pan has a notch to clear the driveshaft)... without the pan, a couple hundred bucks as a core or 500-700 to someone who needs it.

rocketgti

the bell housing is hummer specific as well. so for a i5 to ls swap will need input shaft, oil pan and alpha bell housing if reusing 4l60.

Last edited:

SuperBuickGuy

the bell housing is hummer specific as well. so for a i5 to ls swap will need input shaft, oil pan and alpha bell housing if reusing 4l60.

The bellhousing is different between the I-5 and the 5.3.... but there is no difference in the bellhousings among the LS motors. Not just that, but you should be able to bolt any LS motor bellhousing to the 4L60e you find behind the I-5. With that said, you will want to upgrade and rebuild the I-5 transmission to hold up behind a V8... though, again, with that said, I've made some pretty whimpy stuff do pretty amazing things by using the thing between my ears rather then what dangles between my legs.