• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Love my AGM battery

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, I've had an AGM battery for about three years now. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but in the hot AZ weather a traditional lead acid battery lasts about two years before it breaks down and needs replacing. I think I went through 3 regular batteries in the H3 before I got this AGM.

Since the H3 sits 7+ days between uses, it would sometimes have the battery die off before the AGM swap. Yes, it should not fail that quickly but that's what I was facing. With the AGM, it's always a quick start. It was a good investment.

I'm almost excited to have the battery die in my DD just so I can put in an AGM. It's such a great upgrade. And, since you're about to ask, what did I put in?

(not an exact image)
91BpcKDDoTL._SX355_.jpg

LagunaH1

Good call, thanks for the info. It's not as hot here as over by you, but it does get toasty enough that batteries don't last as long as I'd prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPaul

I had that problem when I moved to Utah, kept going through batteries like nothing. Finally spent the money on a yellow top Optima and instead of going through several batteries with one car I went through several cars with one battery and it was still going strong when I foolishly sold it with the last car it was in.

I replaced the flooded lead acid in the H3 earlier this year so I should be good for a while now. I'm wondering if my wife's car came with an AGM since we've had it for over 7 years now and I haven't had to touch it (2008 Dodge Charger, battery is in the trunk).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Big2dabank

I use the Diehard Platinum P4, the P4 is a dual terminal group 34/78 and it fits nicely in the H2 battery tray with room to spare. Pretty much the exact same battery as the Odyssey PC1500DT, but much cheaper. $229 at sears. Here are the specs.

Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA)1500
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)850
20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah)68
Reserve Capacity Minutes135
Dimensions L x W x H (in)10.85x6.99x7.82
Weight (lbs)49.5

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'll probably go Diehard or Odyssey in my DD, but I have to admit the AC Delco is doing well and they are less expensive. We'll see what deals are out there when the time comes.

Big2dabank

Just noticed the 34/78 DT I have is now discontinued... Bummer, it is a solid, reliable AGM battery. I guess I'll be doing the same and shopping around again when the time comes.