• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

How to disconnect Onstar in the H3

deserth3

OK folks this is how you can disconnect OnStar in the H3. The H3T should be similar.

First put on parking break and place transmission in First Gear. Then turn key off. The radio will stay on. If you are worried about it. This is where you'll see the standard disconnect battery. I left mine connected.
I then pulled the panel forward.

Attachments

• DAsh1.jpg
    DAsh1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,637
  • Dash2.jpg
    Dash2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,924

deserth3

With the panel removed and pushed to the side You can see the box at the bottom of the picture. I have already removed the two connections. I didn't have to disconnect the wires to the panel switches. You may need to.

Attachments

• Dash4.jpg
    Dash4.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,756
  • Dash3.jpg
    Dash3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,767

BMarino

Probationary Member
Thanks John, I did exactly what you stated to do on the rear view mirror and with removing the 2 connections. They are just hanging but is there I reason I need to the wires to the panel switches? I am assuming the OnStar is now off. I again can't thank you enough for all your prompt and accurate and easy directions! Being on my own doing things now has been difficult but it is nice to know there are people like you who really want to help others without ripping them off!!! I owe you big time. I will check out all the links you sent me. Bonnie:cheers:

deserth3

You only need to remove the two connectors to the onstar box.
Removing connectors to the back of the panel just allows you more room to work. You can reconnect them when you put the panel back.
You also don't need to disconnect the mirror. You need that connected for you compass and outside temp. Put after disconnecting onstar you will have one green light on the mirror still on. This is normal.

deserth3

I remember reading. It's an online fuse. I never bothered chasing it down from there.
And as BMarino found out the hard way. The dealer doesn't know much about this system either.
After many trips to the dealer she was told there was a parasitic drain caused by OnStar.
I noticed a shorter battery life when I finally cancelled OnStar. But was ready for it thanks to other 06 owners who have complained about OnStar causing this in the past.
I also figured that disconnecting the whole box was a better fix than just pulling the fuse. Troubleshooting an internal OnStar module problem without schematics just isn't worth my time and effort.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RamRod

So is that the main reason for someone to disconnect OnStar? Battery drain

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

deserth3

Yes, for those that it's happening too. I've only heard of 06 and maybe 07 owners having this problem.
There is also the matter OnStar knows where you truck is as long as the box is connected. This bothers some.
And from what I've read they do keep track for " marketing reasons".

RamRod

Yes, for those that it's happening too. I've only heard of 06 and maybe 07 owners having this problem.
There is also the matter OnStar knows where you truck is as long as the box is connected. This bothers some.
And from what I've read they do keep track for " marketing reasons"

This is the part I was wondering about