• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Powder coat Bumper spray on bedliner or paint?

woodwardsh3

Who has used spray on bed liner for there bumpers? And do you like it or regret it.
As im getting ready to install my ARB bumper I brought back from Canada. The powder coat has a lot of scuffs and scratches.
If not Bed liner who has had any luck painting over powder coat. And what primer an paint did you use. The powder coat is in good shape as the bumper was never mounted and was just stored in the garage.
Thanks

RamRod

Honestly sent a pic to a local powder coat shop, I bet it's not as much as you would think

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Enter Hummer

I always liked the look of bedliner. Durable, scratch resistant, and adds something new to the truck. However, powder coat will always look better. If your going to have it sandblasted you should just spray paint it so you could always just touch it up.

woodwardsh3

Yes thats the big thing being able to touch up the coating as needed, Can't really touch up the powder coat.
I was worried that the bed liner would look dirty and be hard to keep clean after a while

GreatDaneHummer

I have coated my top rack, snorkel, under body area's and front area's with Line X. I use DuPont rattle can bedliner to touch up any areas that get scrapped up. I like it enough that I am going to do the side fenders etc now. It is pretty strong, hasn't faded at all.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm not a fan of bedliner on bumpers if you are wheeling as it will hit rocks and peel. At that point you'll have a tough time getting new bedliner to integrate into the old bedliner as sheets of bedliner peels off. I'd go the powdercoat route. If you hit rocks, you'll only get scratches. If the scratches are bad, you can touch up with paint that may likely come close to the paint. (Rustoleum "Hammered Metal Black" closely matches the black/gray of the H3 bumpers)

crwalkerasla

Glad to see the discussion. I am about to fab some "D-ring brackets to move mine out from behind the Bull Bar.

Sounds like either Line-X or PC depending on cost and availability.

derian06

Red Rockett
Raptor liner, works fantastic, nice gritty texture, easy to clean, easy to touch up, relatively cheap, UV stable. I've used it on my hood, fenders, and move bumper.

woodwardsh3

Well from all your suggestions and the research i've done they say the powder coat makes a good base as long as you scuff it with a fine sand paper. So I decided to use SEM Brand bumper paint the fellow at the paint store has a jeep and this is what he used on his powder coat, and has had no problem with it coming off. The paint went on very well and it looks like OEM bumper color. The biggest reason I went with paint is I can touch it up any time, And time was a biggie as I want to get the bumper and winch on this week end. The bedliner does look really nice but cost much more. And I was afraid if I didn't like bedliner it would be a bit h to remove it.
Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions.
When I get it on I will post some pictures if I remember how to do it.

derian06

Red Rockett

CaddyStrophic

I think 90% of bedlining jobs look bad. It has to be done evenly or it looks like crap in the sun. Splotches, runs, etc.

I'd have it professionally done, if I were going to go that route.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

derian06

Red Rockett
I think 90% of bedlining jobs look bad. It has to be done evenly or it looks like crap in the sun. Splotches, runs, etc.

I'd have it professionally done, if I were going to go that route.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

it's pretty easy to avoid them, just have to overlap with each stroke of the spray gun. constant stream too, no start and stop.

BEFE

What did you end up going with, SEM?and howd you apply it? I was looking at gator guardII and rolling or spraying it on. How many coats did you guys do? Pics? Just plastidipped my mirrors and put 6 coats on ha!

woodwardsh3

I used 2 cans of SEM brand spray paint rattle cans. scuffed the hole thing with red scotch brite pad. There is about 3 to 4 nice coats of paint. It looks like new and is holding up great.

BEFE

I have heard that when you spray it goes everywhere. Did that happen to you woodwardsh or derian? How thick is it? Can you guys post up some pics?

derian06

Red Rockett
I have heard that when you spray it goes everywhere. Did that happen to you woodwardsh or derian? How thick is it? Can you guys post up some pics?
you can change consistency by spraying at a higher or lower psi I just got my headliner done. just lay down a tarp or some card board and you'll be fine. Wear gloves it always gets messy somehow.
f4fe4b1713484e2b18802fc7b3d23aa0.jpg
801692b03698146fe3d46d4a35aceaed.jpg

BEFE

Prolly going with raptor. Have read a lot of bad reviews for gator guard. And im not paying someone 1000$ to do the front n rear lower bumper and grill.