• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ultimate Adventure 2017

4speedfunk

If you haven't already done so...go find a steep grade and overfill your front diff. Looks like the pinion is tilted up quite a bit, and considering the highway miles you might have to run...it would be nice to get the fluid level up above the fill plug so the pinion bearing doesn't run dry. It would suck to burn up a pinion bearing on the way to wherever.

Looks great by the way! Good luck in the competition. Let us know where they send you.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thanks guys! Yep I plan to do that. Just drove 26 miles on it. Maxed out at 65...taking it easy, no Death wobble, all seems well. Alignment needs to be adjusted.

Gotta check bolts, overfill diff...maybe change rad. That 150 dollar eBay aluminum rad must have a **** core it runs hotter then oem ones.

4speed pinion angle is 11 degrees up

Expendable

Might be worth putting a paint line on the bolts after you tighten them down, so at a quick glance you can check to see if any are coming loose.

Do they make any of those arrow looking things they put on big rigs to see if the lug nuts are loosening up in smaller sizes? that's look hokey but be handy.

i guess they are called wheel nut indicators

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Update: rascole is the man! Got me a CSF radiator last minute since my cheap aluminum one sucks! Also got a hitch shackle too, thanks rascole! Gonna start that install tonight.

Also thanks to my dad who drove out there and got it as I did bumpstops...

My sister and mom painted the doors...

Lots of help but it will be finished!!!

Expendable

I can't wait to watch the videos as they are released for this years UA. Have fun glad to see all your loose ends are getting tied up nicely.

the hard part is going to be waiting the six months it's probably going to take for them to release the videos on the motor trend channel.

Big2dabank

One of our local guys was in UA 2015 and UA 2016 and they allowed riders to post pics, clips and videos during the event. So hopefully that is the same for this year.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Update: Rick jokingly said don't forget to fill up the diff...I laughed and said yea right...I was told I would be surprised how many people do that...well I filled up the diff but not all the way. I checked how many quarts it took and it's 3.85 factory. I had 3 in and with the pinion angle I should have had 4. Smoked a pinion bearing as we were going to leave tonight...pulled apart the front end, luckily the R&P are good the chewed up bearing is still stuck and won't allow the pinion to come out. We will be getting up early to get pinion bearings and races and knock out that chewed up bearing, I hope and pray that the race isn't fused to the diff. Check in is 3-5 tomorrow.

4speedfunk

That blows. The pinion bearing usually seizes to the pinion gear. When this happens, it locks the pinion gear into the case. Probably have to torch it out...total PITA. You'll have to torch it from the yoke side. You'll need a sledge and a big, sturdy, punch (like an old 3/8" socket extension).

The idea is to cut (melt) the bearing and race off the pinion gear. Use the punch to knock the pieces out. Normally I wail like hell on the end of the pinion gear to drive it out...but that is with no intent of saving it. I've never tried to salvage the R&P, but you might be able to. Use a brass sledge to save the threads on the end of the pinion gear. You should unlock everything and drive to a shop with a lift and a oxy/act. rig...hard to swing a hammer lying under the truck. You will have to SWING it with everything you got! Make sure you got a catcher standing by so the pinion doesn't fly across the shop.

Once you get it out...check the pinion gear for damage AND also check to see if the old race spun on the gear. If so...you should replace the R&P, as a new one will not properly fit the scarred shaft. Good luck.

Last edited: