• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

type of fire extinguisher

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Saw the other thread for fire ext. mounts but what kind of extinguisher do you guys recommend. there are a lot of types of fires that can happen so one that suites all fires would be best.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

FormerUser

Dry Chemical, Class ABC will do you wonders. And it will cover most types of situations you will come across.

Class A= common combustibles, like wood & paper
Class B= flammable liquids, such as gasoline
Class C= electrical fires
Class D= combustible metal, metals typically found in a foundry example=magnesium (uses a different kind of extinguisher)

I have a 1lb extinguisher up in the front of the cab and a 20lb back in the storage area. In my home I have a 35lb dry chem and a 20lb water extinguisher in the kitchen, plus a 1lb in every room of the house.

05Mudiak

Dry Chemical, Class ABC will do you wonders. And it will cover most types of situations you will come across.

Class D= combustible metal, metals typically found in a foundry example=magnesium (uses a different kind of extinguisher)

I have a 1lb extinguisher up in the front of the cab and a 20lb back in the storage area. In my home I have a 35lb dry chem and a 20lb water extinguisher in the kitchen, plus a 1lb in every room of the house.

Exactly ABC

Halibrand Magnesium wheels fires are a site to be seen! :whaa:

oh yeah mag fires are pretty sweet:horns:

05Mudiak

In my home I have a 35lb dry chem and a 20lb water extinguisher in the kitchen, plus a 1lb in every room of the house. .

Maybe I am reading this wrong and I am no fire fighter but were are trained pretty well in the AF and a water extinguisher is about the worst one you could have in your kitchen the water will only make a grease fire worse

*edit..Oh wait your saying you have a dry and a water in your kitchen, I still think thats not a good idea, in the instance of a grease fire for most people will atleast slightly panic and could possibly use the wrong one that would be a bad mistake. Not trying to say anything just lookin out

Last edited:

SGT-Wright

must be a fire man :)

FormerUser

Maybe I am reading this wrong and I am no fire fighter but were are trained pretty well in the AF and a water extinguisher is about the worst one you could have in your kitchen the water will only make a grease fire worse

*edit..Oh wait your saying you have a dry and a water in your kitchen, I still think thats not a good idea, in the instance of a grease fire for most people will atleast slightly panic and could possibly use the wrong one that would be a bad mistake. Not trying to say anything just lookin out

Thanks for catching that - the reason I have the wet extinguisher in the kitchen(closet) is that its a centrally located space - easy to find. To be honest, a dry chem will work for just about every home situation.

I actually am a firefighter, and have been for over 15 years, and no - I don't use it for grease fires. And your right - you guys in the AF do get trained pretty well. As a matter of fact, I trained a few of you(Ellsworth, Andrews, Barksdale, AF academy, Vandenberg, and Goodfellow)to name a few - as well as a whole slew of Army bases.