• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Front drive shalf spins in park on my h1 hummer

Williamjr831

Probationary Member
Hello I'm new. I just bought a 1996 h1 hummer. I've been going thru it replacing seals on the gear hubs and I noticed with vechlice off the ground I could spin the front drive shalf by hand with it in park. Is this normal or does this mean I have a issue with the tranfer case.

Kurt

Hello I'm new. I just bought a 1996 h1 hummer. I've been going thru it replacing seals on the gear hubs and I noticed with vechlice off the ground I could spin the front drive shalf by hand with it in park. Is this normal or does this mean I have a issue with the tranfer case.

It can be normal in certain situations.. what is your transfer case set to? Your transfer case will "override" whatever your transmission is doing. If the transfer case is in Neutral or H [high unlock] then the t-case won't be locked, in which case with the wheels up in the air you should be able to spin the front and rear prop shafts independently unless the t-case is locked [HL or LL(L)]

In normal situations [pavement parking in H] when you park, the transmission park will really only park one side of the transfer case [one set of axles] same with the cable emergency brake which will lock the rear axles mechanically.

Now if the transfer case was in High Lock or Low Lock and you were able to do this, then you may have a problem.

Last edited: