• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Tranny dead

humvee

Thanks 4speed. The current arrangement is that I bought a tranny from a 2011 Chevy Colorado (V8 4x4 model). Its a 4L60e and its on its way to me now.
I opted out of the 6L80 when ATV chimed in. Bought all new seals, filter and pan gasket. I'm holding on to my H3 tranny in case I'll need the valve body and pan, but like you said that should be a direct fit.

For the old tranny, I am planning to dive in and evaluate if I'm up for fixing it. Not too confident in my mechanical skills, and wouldn't want to sell a bad tranny to someone if a buyer comes along.

Ghostbuster

Why did you buy a used Tranny and have it shipped across the world? Should have at least bought a brand new one. I mean considering all the trouble you’ve already had with rebuilt/used transmissions...

But good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humvee

Agree, but a brand new tranny costs $3400 from GM I believe. Not the time for that.

If I’m taking the Hummer back home with me after I’m done working here, I would’ve probably. But it doesn’t seem so.

Hoping for the best.

CaseyS

If it doesnt have the hummer/cc compatible pan there are a few things that must be swapped over from your old trans. Valve body, 1-2 accumulator, and another plate that I can remember off the too of my head. Would likely want a new valve body and pan gasket if those have to be swapped.

humvee

If it doesnt have the hummer/cc compatible pan there are a few things that must be swapped over from your old trans. Valve body, 1-2 accumulator, and another plate that I can remember off the too of my head. Would likely want a new valve body and pan gasket if those have to be swapped.

You guys have me quite worried now. I know for a fact that the transmission was pulled from a 2011 v8 chevy colorado. If it arrives without a scoop in the pan I’ll have to assume that its not from the truck they say it came from. Right?

What problems could arise from swapping the valve body?

CaseyS

I think you are safe. Cc and h3 should use the same transfer case and therefore the same transmission. I have never laid eyes on a cc transmission though.

4speedfunk

The V8s and the L5s have different bell housing bolt patterns, so if you have a 5-cyl...you will need to swap the bell out. Also the V8s may take (I’m not sure) a different length input shaft. The CC trans should have the correct pan & valve body.

There are several guys on here that have done L5 to V8 swaps, and they do have to mess with the trans. To get to t to bolt up. Maybe 06H3 will chime in...he would know exactly what you need to do.

Last edited:

humvee

There are several guys on here that have done L5 to V8 swaps, and they do have to mess with the trans. To get to t to bolt up. Maybe 06H3 will chime in...he would know exactly what you need to do.

Already been through the V8 swap. Changing that input drum was what got me into this mess in the first place. If I knew then what I know now.

humvee

The guy that sold me the tranny got into an argument with DHL over the address on the airway bill, took it back and refunded my money without asking.

Alternative needed.

humvee

Reman tranny from TransmissionAuthority (rock auto) arrived this morning. The case was flooded with oil and the strap holding the tranny in place was broken.
I did what the website recommends and refused to sign for it and contacted the supplier.

Lets see

humvee

Hi guys, the new tranny will be shipped tomorrow. I'm going to get a new tru-cool 40k cooler to replace my current one to avoid contamination.
I'm also looking for braided lines that go from the tranny, my current cooler line situation includes hose clamps and, pretty sweaty and messy.

Has anyone bought a 6' hose kit that they're happy with? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lpd47391-top.jpgScreen Shot 2018-05-20 at 1.42.16 AM.jpg

JPaul

What's wrong with the factory hard lines? Seems going with braided hose could be a pain since you'd have to add anchoring for it and make sure to route it away from the nice hot catalytic converter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

humvee

What's wrong with the factory hard lines?

I currently have the i5 lines on the new V8 setup, the alpha lines have different part numbers and are routed slightly differently (to clear the bell housing & alpha downpipes). At the moment my lines pass close to the cat converter and I can’t bend them or reroute them.

Also can’t get the alpha lines because my downpipes & cat are not routed stock either.

I’ll take pictures when its on the ramp and post them soon.

amrg

Ya ramrod when ru installing that 6 speed? I know you already have the output shaft ready and thats like 90% of the work ;)
Sure that supercharged 5.3 needs abit more torque too!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

RamRod

The adapter between the 6l80e and the tcase is my current hold up....not sure when it will all com together

humvee

After fixing this and that, and installing the new tranny. I noticed a consistent clicking sound while idle, it didn’t increase in tempo while accelerating. The sound can only be heard from the drivers seat, move your head a few inches to the right and it goes away.
Drove 150 miles.
Today I checked my transmission fluid, it was a bit on the low side. When I topped it up the sound went away. Looking for thoughts on damage caused to my newly rebuilt transmission [emoji21]

Mr_Rich

After fixing this and that, and installing the new tranny. I noticed a consistent clicking sound while idle, it didn’t increase in tempo while accelerating. The sound can only be heard from the drivers seat, move your head a few inches to the right and it goes away.
Drove 150 miles.
Today I checked my transmission fluid, it was a bit on the low side. When I topped it up the sound went away. Looking for thoughts on damage caused to my newly rebuilt transmission [emoji21]

I think you're probably okay. I defer to Bowtie Overdrives procedures for new trans installs. I think you can download some info there. Main thing is that they sell a small inline filter that you use temporarily to catch any possible debris during break-in. Also check line pressure at the test port on the driver's side of trans and check line pressure through all gears. Of course, you've probably bypassed all of that and the truck drives fine now. You can always try the inline filter on one of the cooler lines and run it for a short time and then inspect the guts of the filter rather than dropping the pan and checking everything that way.

humvee

I’m two liters in and still not at the mark. I think one more should do it. Will add in small increments.

Mr_Rich

It can be deceptive. Last fluid change I thought I added too much fluid in my K1500 and the trans was shifting bad. Turned out I didn't add enough fluid and it's fine now.