• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

HMMWV: 3200 optimizer pics and the CAT 4.4L

Kurt

I'm going to see if I can track down the AM General calendar, didn't realize they had pictures of a rolling chassis with the 3.2L Optimizer mated to an Alison 1000.

Someone who went to a military conference on g503 posted these pictures, including the AM General version of the 3.2L Steyr Turbodiesel and Caterpillars proposal for the HMMWV repower contract, a 4.4L Turbodiesel with a Cat tranny and transfer case on a HMMWV chassis.

Oh man I know what I want in my stocking this Christmas :giggle:

C
lick for big, the 3200 spec sheet:

AM Generals new turbodiesel engine by Halfshaft, on Flickr

Check out those new airlift hooks...

3.2L_hmmwv_chassis by Halfshaft, on Flickr

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wish AMG would make up their mind about a new civi H1. They need something to do, might as well build us some more H1s.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Oh man, I'm hoping beyond hope that AMG moves on with a civi H1! The Alpha prices have been holding over a hundred K, a new H1 would help to drop those to reasonable working man dollars in several years with the wealthy guys dropping them for something new!

Kurt

I just hope AMG/GEP releases the 3200 like the 6500 as a general purpose aftermarket engine. It would be the best engine conversion option for old H1's, just drop it in with new motor mounts, it's designed to work with the 3 speed, 4L80 and Alison, and it reuses the existing cooling system. It would give the truck a nice shot in the arm and better mileage to boot.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
The brochure that you showed references the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JTLV) which is a program that has been terminated :link:. However, the JTLV program will be replaced by the HMMWV recapitalization (AKA HMMWV Recap) program :link: in hopes of obtaining a more affordable solution. It currently looks like there will be 4 bidders and their approaches range from a bigger engine, transmission and suspension designed to carry more armor (increased weight capacity) to super light weight armor solutions to meet survivability requirements within the current HMMWV design weight. Whichever solution wins the recap, that manufacturer will have the volume to offer an affordable HMMWV refresh solution. However, some recap solutions will fit the existing HMMWV recreational market better than others. In addition there could be two different recap solutions since the Army and Marine Corp have divergent requirements. All this will get sorted out in the next year or two or 10 as is typical for our military.

I assume that the AMG HMMWV recap offer will include the same engine and transmission as their JTLV design (if it was the best they could offer for JTLV then it is the leading candidate for recap). The engine that AMG shows in the JTLV brochure is the Steyr M16 which is also used in the AM General HMMW M998 M16 TCA HD :link: :link:. This in a remarkable engine because it uses “monoblock” construction, meaning the head and cylinders are cast as a single piece, which eliminates the head gasket and the joint between the head and the cylinders (which has to be very stiff to maintain a flat surface under pressure and avoid head gasket leaks). The difficult part of the monoblock engine is machining the valve surfaces from the bottom of the cylinders, but Steyr has been working on this since the late 1970’s and they have been producing monoblock engines since the 1990’s (I think).

Regarding a civilian version of the HMMWV, I doubt we will see that happen. The main issue is the cost of meeting all the transportation department certification requirements. I believe our best hope is that someone, possible AMG, will offer a kit to upgrade or recap old civilian H1’s.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
The Spanish HMMWV, the URO VAMTAC, runs the Steyr engine. Even though the engine is very well made, it can barely handle the weight of a non armored version. When they requested to get it uparmored, they were told that it would never be able to handle it. Unless Steyr has another larger version of the engine, it may not be the best option.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Kurt

The spanish HMMWV cheaped out by going with the 4 cylinder monoblock instead of the 6 cylinder model. Their platform was built around that engine until the customer decided to go with a less powerful motor to save money.There's a few dozen variations of motor that steyr produces, used in buses to boats and various armored vehicles around the world. That being said, we'll see what the future brings. The 6.5 won't make modern emissions but the 3.2L already meets US and European emission standards which is strange considering government vehicles are exempt in the first place :huh:.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
According to your link, the Steyr engine meets Euro II & III standards. The current standard in Europe is Euro IV. They must have and updated version, but like you said, they really don't need to meet that standard anyways.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone