• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Help me, I have a problem

High Five H2

I loved the H3 ever since they came out, and when I found out they were making one with a V8 my brain just about exploded. I finally bought one almost 4 years ago and I have all kinds of plans for it - engine swap, SAS, etc. It helps that they piss off my hippie ex-wife quite a bit. :giggle:

Only there's one problem - I keep thinking about getting an H2 SUT (I also considered getting a wrangler, but every time I do, a part of me dies a little bit, even though they may get a cool diesel V6. I may just convince my brother to buy one).

Halp! What should I do?!?

Pros:

Basically, the H2 is a lot closer to what I want my H3 to be.
Better axles - probably wouldn't need to SAS, even though I would probably still consider it
6-speed transmission (08-09, which is what I would get)
Steering wheel controls and auto climate controls - these are a big deal to me for some reason
BIG: Bigger interior/storage - I have 2 kids, wife wants a 3rd. I want a dog instead/in addition to.
Duramax swap? Maybe!
Rear locker - but then again I could put lockers in my H3 or trade it in on an Adv model
SUT - good compromise between hunting truck and off-road SUV. I have no use for a big bed, other than to haul a dead deer to a cabin. Although who want to lift 150+ lbs of dead animal up that high, because obviously I'm going to lift it (who are we kidding, West Texas deer are tiny).

Cons:

A bit flashy for my taste - but then again my H3 stands out quite a bit with the big tires that stick out 6 inches (really). Also, I'm unreasonably afraid of eco-terrorists. I live in Oil Country, TX now, but I may move to CO eventually.
BIG - less maneuverable on the trail :whaa:
Gas mileage - but then again my H3 gets 11 MPG or so right now with the 35's.
Pinstriping

Whatever I get, it will basically be my bad weather/off-road/camping/hunting rig.

I'm going to test drive one just to see if it's worth it. Also, I think we'll be in Moab during Hummer week. I probably won't bring mine due to I don't want to drive 12 hours the way it vibrates and leaks a bit of oil. It may just be that I need to fix some issues and sleep on it, but that diagnosis is for another thread.

Anyways, come at me bros. Talk some sense or craziness into me. I'm obviously not going to go out and buy one tomorrow, or even this year. Probably.
:gaah:

Last edited:

JPaul

The H2 is very large and would not always fit on many trails in Colorado.

Make it fit.

But really, I've considered the H2 as well. Really it's not *that* huge of a vehicle. The full size trucks the have out now are really just as as big honestly. The Ford F350 is just as wide (can be wider actually if you get dually), just as tall, and is a fair bit longer. The H2 just *looks* big because it's so square shaped, most trucks are have a fair bit of curves to them so they don't look as bulky.

But yes, it's decidedly bigger than an H3 and will not fit in near as many places as the 3 does. But there's the tradeoff, more comfort and cargo capacity, or being more nimble? If you know where you're going and aren't afraid of body damage, you can go quite a few places with the H2. But you're not going to be able to take it down whatever trail strikes your fancy, it wasn't really meant to be a nimble rock crawler.

Personally I would probably keep my H3 and pick up a H2 as an extra vehicle, especially for the prices they are starting to get down to. But that's up to you if you want to/ can afford two Hummers.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Trying to think of what trails an H2 won't fit on in the Ouray CO area or even in Moab. Maybe Elephant hill? But I knew some H2 owners who did a heck of a lot of trails in CO and never heard of a problem.

DJinCO

Trying to think of what trails an H2 won't fit on in the Ouray CO area or even in Moab. Maybe Elephant hill? But I knew some H2 owners who did a heck of a lot of trails in CO and never heard of a problem.

Doug what you say is true. However, there are other trails and areas in Colorado besides Ouray and Silverton area. I frequent trails that have trees and heavy brush that rub both sides of an H3. A couple of times I squeezed through a couple of trees with only millimeters. Also the extended height of an H2 would have been scraping the top of the windshield and roof with large limbs.

True, you could "make" it fit with a chain saw but some of us out there would take exception to cutting down the National Forest. Defeats the whole Tread Lightly program.

Just saying don't be surprised if you get in a bind. Many, many of the trails are becoming more narrow due to the 4-wheelers (ATV) usage.

Also the extra width is an issue when you come upon another user of the trail going the opposite direction and you need to get over to get by. Sometimes the back-up to a wide spot is a long way away.

I have never come upon an H2 (or a full size pick-up) on the trail during one of my outings on the narrow trails. The Southwest corner of Colorado (Durango/Silverton) is the exception rather than the rule.

Last edited:

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Look at the measurements of both 2 and 3 then marvel at how little the difference really is. I ran my 2 on trails that were tight in the 3, big deal, the branches made a little more noise. When you wheel a 2 after driving the 3 you'll realize at how silly it seemed to pucker your butt cheeks on off camber stuff in the 3. I was amazed at how much more stable the 2 was on the same trails I ran in my 3. Yeah, that big of a difference. I will be honest about the down hill stuff in the 2, you'll feel all 6600 pounds of the 2 when you're pointed down a hill--the 3 held it's own way better without slipping and that feeling of being on edge of control that you don't want to slide down a hill. In the 2 that is un-nerving.
There's tons more upgrade options and replacement parts available for the 2--this is good to know when you break stuff on the trail and parts stores in town don't (or didn't) always have replacement steering/suspension parts for the 3. Most of those hard parts are readily available for the 2 because they also fit the Chevy 2500's, which are dime a dozen.
If you are seriously considering a third kid, there's no doubt you'll want an SUV vs. SUT. The additional room to spread the kids out over three rows is priceless, trust me, this was a huge factor when I traded the 3. I REALLY wanted an SUT but there was no way with three kids and for that, I never regretted the decision. Sorry, can't help with your deer issues, but you'd be hauling kids way more than an occasional deer. I actually accommodated the SUV's outside cargo carrying shortcoming by installing an over tire rack, which I figure has the same space as an SUT bed anyway! No way you'd get a deer that high, but you'll figure something out.

Last edited:

High Five H2

I suppose as far as size is concerned, there are a few solutions. Some people get those magnetic sheets and cut them to fit their rig and there are spray on protective coatings and stuff. I also read that a thick coat of wax makes it pretty easy to just buff the scratches out. Then again, they probably don't have to deal with mesquite trees like we do out here. They have giant thorns that pop tires. It's crazy. Either way, whatever. What's the point of having a 4x4 if you don't scratch it up some?

If you are seriously considering a third kid, there's no doubt you'll want an SUV vs. SUT. The additional room to spread the kids out over three rows is priceless, trust me, this was a huge factor when I traded the 3. I REALLY wanted an SUT but there was no way with three kids and for that, I never regretted the decision. Sorry, can't help with your deer issues, but you'd be hauling kids way more than an occasional deer. I actually accommodated the SUV's outside cargo carrying shortcoming by installing an over tire rack, which I figure has the same space as an SUT bed anyway! No way you'd get a deer that high, but you'll figure something out.

That's a good point too. I could just get one of those hitch receiver racks for deer.

Personally I would probably keep my H3 and pick up a H2 as an extra vehicle, especially for the prices they are starting to get down to. But that's up to you if you want to/ can afford two Hummers.

That's a good idea. I was going to get 2 vehicles eventually. One fast one for a DD and one for off-road, but this could work too. Also, my wife really wants a 4runner. If I get an H1 and an H2, then I'll have an H1, H2, H3, and a 4Runner, and that will soothe my need for standarization, since my wife doesn't want an SRX, which would keep it in the GM family. Although, I hate Toyotas, but not for any good reason.

Thanks for the input, although I should be annoyed since you guys did an awful job of talking me out of an H2. :)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The main reason I haven't gone to an H2 is how much I have invested in the H3. Any change of vehicle will take a few thousand $ to get it to where I want to be. The H2 fits fine on many trails but others have talked how challenging it is on other trails, namely those with more trees. If I had the opportunity for a fairly easy move to an H2 I would do it.

High Five H2

The main reason I haven't gone to an H2 is how much I have invested in the H3. Any change of vehicle will take a few thousand $ to get it to where I want to be. The H2 fits fine on many trails but others have talked how challenging it is on other trails, namely those with more trees. If I had the opportunity for a fairly easy move to an H2 I would do it.

That’s something I considered, too. I haven’t done much to my 3 that I couldn’t take off and put on something else. Even my wheels would fit an H2 (don’t ask, sometimes I am dumb).

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
What I mean in terms of upgrades is that my H3, with Reloader's help, is rock solid with no rattles, squeaks or unpleasant sounds except for that loud POP when wheeling. On an H2, I'd replace most of the front end suspension as my first work. I'd go through every moving drivetrain part. If I went to 38s I'd look at regearing. I'd look at strengthening the steering. These are not things that you can just move over - lots of dollars and lots of time.

High Five H2

What I mean in terms of upgrades is that my H3, with Reloader's help, is rock solid with no rattles, squeaks or unpleasant sounds except for that loud POP when wheeling. On an H2, I'd replace most of the front end suspension as my first work. I'd go through every moving drivetrain part. If I went to 38s I'd look at regearing. I'd look at strengthening the steering. These are not things that you can just move over - lots of dollars and lots of time.

oh yeah, that makes sense. thanks. I'd definitely regear, too.

glpd74

I've had both and I think a spread sheet would help you as you really need to define exactly what you need your vehicle to be. Dimensions on both like twin said are really close especially when you take a ruler and visually see what the difference is. The h2 looks and feels big where the h3 looks and feels small so it really is just visual perspective vs actual dimensions. I will say hands down the h2 is way comfier, better power and anything over a half hour a driving the h2 is the way to go. Unless you need a goat trail vehicle but then you would prolly be better off with a utv. Seems your family might get bigger so that really makes the h2 a better option. Even though it is just me my wife and daughter, I can tell you my family is much happier with the h2. Hope this helps, if you have more detailed questions I'd be happy to answer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

High Five H2

I've had both and I think a spread sheet would help you as you really need to define exactly what you need your vehicle to be. Dimensions on both like twin said are really close especially when you take a ruler and visually see what the difference is. The h2 looks and feels big where the h3 looks and feels small so it really is just visual perspective vs actual dimensions. I will say hands down the h2 is way comfier, better power and anything over a half hour a driving the h2 is the way to go. Unless you need a goat trail vehicle but then you would prolly be better off with a utv. Seems your family might get bigger so that really makes the h2 a better option. Even though it is just me my wife and daughter, I can tell you my family is much happier with the h2. Hope this helps, if you have more detailed questions I'd be happy to answer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A spreadsheet sounds good to me, lol. I use one of those for everything, but I'd never thought about it for deciding between two cars. I'm going to test drive one and maybe co-pilot with someone at moab in April (any takers? :) and then see.

Traxx

Problem with the Suv is there is not nearly as much cargo area as you would think and the Sut is obviously worse in that regard. I had an Suv and an Sut at the same time I found it overall to be a toy vehicle with not alot of practicality to it. You can't haul enough for a normal sized family to take camping, royal pain for box store runs (lift+38's means lifting bags of concrete overhead) it did however look awesome and I do miss it. I bought an H3T and a minivan after I sold them. You can laugh but the van hauls far more stuff for the regular dump runs or family trips and I don't worry about dings or care if some idiot keys it, it's invisible and cheap to maintain, pretty much the polar opposite of the T. If they had ever made a normal bed length Sut....

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
SUV is actually usable more than you'd think. I've brought home lumber that was too long to fit inside the cabin, so I left the lift gate up and closed the tire carrier and just put the lumber on the tire/carrier. It all depends what you want to use it for. Also, because I have the Rockford Fosgate 10" sub under the back seat, if I want to fold the seat down I need to unplug and remove the sub but that's really an easy process, just need to store the speaker box in the house or garage until the seat goes back up.

GreatDaneHummer

I actually really like the H2 SUT and have considered it many times as a swap from the H3. If it's something that you would like then go for it. If you end up hating it then sell it and get another H3.

High Five H2

My H3 has been at the dealership for a month (well, 4 weeks today, but still...) and I am starting to get frustrated. There's an H2 that's exactly what I want about 200 miles from here and I'm tempted to pick it up. I suppose I could just sell the H3 once I get it back. I dunno.

Big2dabank

A properly setup H2 with roof racks can store a sh!t load of gear. I have had more gear piled in and on my truck than you could possibly imagine. I have had this truck for over 10 years and I still love it, even more than the day I first bought it. Its been through hell and back and just keeps on going. Sure its wide and large, but it can still fit in some pretty tight places, not sure what my track width is, but I manage to fit on trails here in Florida that are primarily jeep trails. It has over 225,000 miles and other than basic maintenance the worst I've had to deal with was transmission failure at 200,000 and t-case failure at 210,000 thats a drop in the bucket compared to the use I have gotten out of this rig. I have had no regrets and would gladly by one again, it is truly like nothing else. I never see myself driving down the road, its rare I even see an SUT, much less this color and rigged out. It stands out from other vehicles and I get compliments from people all the time.

This is not even close to loaded down. Two ice chest, camping gear, two paddle boards, cloths, sleeping bags, etc..
attachment.php

High Five H2

A properly setup H2 with roof racks can store a sh!t load of gear. I have had more gear piled in and on my truck than you could possibly imagine. I have had this truck for over 10 years and I still love it, even more than the day I first bought it. Its been through hell and back and just keeps on going. Sure its wide and large, but it can still fit in some pretty tight places, not sure what my track width is, but I manage to fit on trails here in Florida that are primarily jeep trails. It has over 225,000 miles and other than basic maintenance the worst I've had to deal with was transmission failure at 200,000 and t-case failure at 210,000 thats a drop in the bucket compared to the use I have gotten out of this rig. I have had no regrets and would gladly by one again, it is truly like nothing else. I never see myself driving down the road, its rare I even see an SUT, much less this color and rigged out. It stands out from other vehicles and I get compliments from people all the time.

This is not even close to loaded down. Two ice chest, camping gear, two paddle boards, cloths, sleeping bags, etc..
attachment.php

Would you ever consider a Dmax swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big2dabank

Once the 6 L dies of course I would consider the DMAX to keep it on the road. Until then I don't see the point. When the time comes one of the best shops in the country (Duraburb) is right down the road from my house .

High Five H2

Once the 6 L dies of course I would consider the DMAX to keep it on the road. Until then I don't see the point. When the time comes one of the best shops in the country (Duraburb) is right down the road from my house .

I like the idea of a Dmax swap but I worry that they're too heavy and will make the COG really high. That 6.2/6L80 is pretty light.

Also: https://www.robertsauto.us/for-sale/2008-hummer-h2-sut-base-4d-sport-utility-6070/

How's this look? Good price? I'm going to look this weekend. It has the lux package, right?

Big2dabank

Looks really nice, amazing how well these are holding their price, that's more than I paid for my 2005 when it was only a year and a half old with 30,000 miles.

lowtrac

I purchased my H3 a few months ago. I was seriously looking at H2s, but decided on the 3 for two reasons:

1. This is my daily driver and I have a 60 mile round-trip commute. Fuel economy matters.
2. My wife thought the 2 was "too flashy."

If I was looking for a weekend/fun vehicle then I'd go H2 all the way.

GreatDaneHummer

I continue to feel as you do about looking at the H2's as a fun toy. With how far back the Dmax sits as long as you didn't lift it to the moon I don't think you would even notice the added weight. I personally feel the H2 is no different than buying an H3 in that it will take a few thousand to fix up and repair any past maintenance negligence. Not being very familiar with the H2's do they have a 6 speed trans or can you swap one in for better gas mileage?

I like the idea of a Dmax swap but I worry that they're too heavy and will make the COG really high. That 6.2/6L80 is pretty light.

Also: https://www.robertsauto.us/for-sale/2008-hummer-h2-sut-base-4d-sport-utility-6070/

How's this look? Good price? I'm going to look this weekend. It has the lux package, right?

High Five H2

Looks really nice, amazing how well these are holding their price, that's more than I paid for my 2005 when it was only a year and a half old with 30,000 miles.

The VIN history says it sold for $30K just a few years ago, so it looks like it's gaining value. toyota drivers are jealous.

I purchased my H3 a few months ago. I was seriously looking at H2s, but decided on the 3 for two reasons:

1. This is my daily driver and I have a 60 mile round-trip commute. Fuel economy matters.
2. My wife thought the 2 was "too flashy."

If I was looking for a weekend/fun vehicle then I'd go H2 all the way.

I worry about MPG's a bit, too, but my H3 is getting around 11 anyways with the 35's and steel beadlocks. I live close to work and most of the time I'm driving my work car, which is how I've gotten by with no car for the past month. I don't like flashy cars either, but I live in west Texas where everyone drives a huge lifted diesel. H2's are tame and not that uncommon around here. Now if I get my transfer to Colorado, that will be different...

I continue to feel as you do about looking at the H2's as a fun toy. With how far back the Dmax sits as long as you didn't lift it to the moon I don't think you would even notice the added weight. I personally feel the H2 is no different than buying an H3 in that it will take a few thousand to fix up and repair any past maintenance negligence. Not being very familiar with the H2's do they have a 6 speed trans or can you swap one in for better gas mileage?

03-07 has 4 speed, 08-09 6 speed. I think a Dmax drivetrain is only about 500 or 600 lbs heavier than factory. That's not bad, not nearly as heavy as a cummins. I wouldn't lift it sky-high, probably just big enough to fit 37s or 38s.

Last edited: