• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Need Advice: Hummer H3 Rear Shackle Bushing Replacement

jphh20

Just starting hearing some knocking and noticed my rear shackle bushings are beat up pretty bad. They look pretty rusted in there and I typically attempt any repair but those bushings look like a pia...

#4 in the diagram is what I am looking to replace and the attached photo is not mine but exactly what I am looking for advice to remove. It looks tight in there where a dead blow won't work and typical bushing press might not apply.

ee7b0ce0531922a4ff0f07013a03b6f5.gif
781154c0710090121e81c3d409bed0b1.jpg

Thanks

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Use a ball joint press or similar, that's what we did though rust isn't an issue in AZ. Obviously soak it first with penetrating oil.

As you can see from the diagram there's an out metal sleeve to push against with the ball joint press. The frame itself does not have a lot of contact with the bushing sleeve, just a bit on each end - it's not like 3" straight of metal to metal contact.

If it really gets bad, you can just destroy the bushing bit by by, with impact hammer/chisel, metal saw, etc. Just work slowly and carefully so you don't damage the frame brackets.

Ha, I just realized that you used my photo! Wondered why it looked familiar.

jphh20

Use a ball joint press or similar, that's what we did though rust isn't an issue in AZ. Obviously soak it first with penetrating oil.

As you can see from the diagram there's an out metal sleeve to push against with the ball joint press. The frame itself does not have a lot of contact with the bushing sleeve, just a bit on each end - it's not like 3" straight of metal to metal contact.

If it really gets bad, you can just destroy the bushing bit by by, with impact hammer/chisel, metal saw, etc. Just work slowly and carefully so you don't damage the frame brackets.

Ha, I just realized that you used my photo! Wondered why it looked familiar.

Thanks Alrock, I'm debating if I want to tackle my bushing that appears fused or have someone with the right tools tackle this fun job. I'm not one to have anyone work on my vehicles and always find a way. Thanks for the advice and will give this some more thought.

Panzer07

Thanks for the explanation alrock I'm getting ready to replace those as well...ordered them thru zach

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

4speedfunk

Blow the old ones out with a torch...fast, easy, and a tad fun. This should leave you with a smooth steel sleeve ready to accept a new bushing. Urethane bushings are my preference, and you can turn them on a lathe if necessary, to get them to fit.
In addition to these frame mounted bushings, I would also do all four leaf spring bushings, using the same torch technique. This has been on my wish list for some time, as my bushings have been mega-flexed over the years. The spring-over mod really increases the side-to-side load on them. At full-droop my rear axle can shift several inches (stripes on the driveshaft from the fuel tank). Let us know how this works out for you...I'm not looking forward this project.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I had a spring shop do my leaf spring bushings when they re-arched the springs and added a full length leaf.

jphh20

Just starting hearing some knocking and noticed my rear shackle bushings are beat up pretty bad. They look pretty rusted in there and I typically attempt any repair but those bushings look like a pia...

#4 in the diagram is what I am looking to replace and the attached photo is not mine but exactly what I am looking for advice to remove. It looks tight in there where a dead blow won't work and typical bushing press might not apply.

ee7b0ce0531922a4ff0f07013a03b6f5.gif
781154c0710090121e81c3d409bed0b1.jpg

Thanks

Joe

I ended up tackling this today and it wasn't as bad as I thought. The interesting thing to note is that the metal sleeve on the bushing completely rusts itself in half which makes it easy to press out and in. I used a standard bushing press to push out the steel sleeve, cut whatever rubber was left out and used an air chisel on the remaining metal sleeve.

a97acc299448aca20b1ad04537b5eb89.jpg
f06b834dd1ffec476ed21f53f818fb37.jpg
0e6c84e2c26b28c89b89b9298b9bc367.jpg
1e23aed634f58335ad6387890249a8d1.jpg

SlcHummer

@jphh20, did replacing these bushings fix your knocking issues as you expected? I too notice a pretty loud knock/rattle in the rear when I go over pot holes or bumpy roads and am thinking I could greatly benefit from replacing these bushings.

jphh20

I replaced my rear bushings as normal maintenance and they visually needed to be replaced. The noise I had around a year ago actually came from the front from a back steering rack and intermediate shaft. The new dorman shaft I put in was worse then my old oem version. Replaced it with a genuine GM part and problem solved. Hope this helps...

SlcHummer

It does! I believe I have that same noise in the front when turning my steering wheel right. I had forgotten about the noise because I became so used to it lol. I'll be ordering this same part and hoping it resolves my issues as it did yours. Thank you.

Gilberto Mauro

Probationary Member
Hi everyone I'm new here!
One question I have to replace those bushes but here in the store they don't know if all bushes are same size?
I just need to order 3 leaf spring bush to each side for mey rear suspension HUMMER H3
ee7b0ce0531922a4ff0f07013a03b6f5 (1)_edit_506927938242662.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231206_124231.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_124231.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 28

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
They are different.

From Rockauto.com
DAYTON RB172 Steel and Rubber Press in Bushing; Spring Eye Bushing Info Rear Rearward
DAYTON RB231 Spring Eye Bushing; 76mm OAL; 50mm Bushing Diameter; 14mm Bolt Hole Diameter Info Rear Forward
DAYTON RB117 Steel Encapsulated Rubber Bushing Info Rear To Frame OR GM GENUINE 14027938 Info Rear; 4WD

Gilberto Mauro

Probationary Member
T
They are different.

From Rockauto.com
DAYTON RB172 Steel and Rubber Press in Bushing; Spring Eye Bushing Info Rear Rearward
DAYTON RB231 Spring Eye Bushing; 76mm OAL; 50mm Bushing Diameter; 14mm Bolt Hole Diameter Info Rear Forward
DAYTON RB117 Steel Encapsulated Rubber Bushing Info Rear To Frame OR GM GENUINE 14027938 Info Rear; 4WD
Thank you will check it out now 👍🏼

Gilberto Mauro

Probationary Member
T
They are different.

From Rockauto.com
Thank you will check it out now 👍🏼

Gilberto Mauro

Probationary Member
T
They are different.

From Rockauto.com
Thank you will check it out now,
Here in Dubai I found only this GM GENUINE 14027938 Info Rear; 4WD
This one is to fixe in the car frame?