• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Tools to keep on hand?

vrocco

I'm a new H1 owner and still trying to outfit my rig. What would you experienced owners say are the "must-have" tools to carry? Common socket sizes for the H1? Fluid types to carry? General tools that are good to have (I'm thinking BFH types of things)?

It'd be even cooler to see pics of your toolkits or what you keep in your rigs.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions moving forward, so I will thank you all in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience. Thanks!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I only carry the tools required to fix the issues I can fix on the trail. ( change half shafts, remove drive shafts, tie rods, ball joints, etc. ) I have a list somewhere of what to carry for each repair. I will try to dig it up.

vrocco

I only carry the tools required to fix the issues I can fix on the trail. ( change half shafts, remove drive shafts, tie rods, ball joints, etc. ) I have a list somewhere of what to carry for each repair. I will try to dig it up.

Thanks! That'd be great

What about specific fluids? I haven't gone through my owners manual yet to learn exact weights for engine oil, gear oils, etc.

Expendable

If your 2000 hasn't had a remote mount kit installed for your PMD on a heatsink I would do that as well as carry a spare as PMD failure is fairly common. Setup I would run for remote PMD is 2 mounted on a heatsink, that way if one fails, it's less than a minute to change out.

Blue Hummer makes some good field repair kits:
http://www.bluehummer.net/field-repair-kits/

vrocco

I usually check fluids before I head out rather than carry them. The less volume and weight you carry the better.

And that's all well and good until something breaks on the trail and dumps all its fluid. You may be able to make the fix on trail, but then you need the fluid to fill it back up.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never seen an H1 break anything on the trail, that could be fixed on the trail that required fluids. We have lost a Tcase on the trail but you don't carry a spare T case with you. I have seen people hit the trail with leaky hub seals where they added fluid on the trail but they went wheeling with a known issue because they did not have time to fix it. The most I carry is some 50/50 and a bottle of DOT 5 because it can be hard to find.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is essentially what I have but I haven't laid my hands on mine. Dave isn't a member here but I don't think he would mind you posting it up. I carry a BlueHummer halfshaft delete kit. I also carry spare bolts for the power steering unit where it attaches to the frame. As to the engine mount fasteners I wrap a chain around the driver's side engine mount real tight and run a bolt through it. That keeps the engine from over torqueing and breaking the mount. Even if the mount were to break it would hold the engine in place at rpms.

vrocco

Yeah he has a couple nice field repair kits on his site. Probably things you could put together yourself, but they are nice sets and include instructions for us less experienced drivers.

Neo- I totally agree. Those are two great tools. The m16 can be very useful! The moving blanket is a must have for working on the trail, unless you enjoy droping things in dirt/sand/snow etc. and then looking for them. The first thing you need for any repair is a moving blanket. I would pack tools behind the cooler with folding chairs on top of tool bags, a small sthil chain saw near the back somewhere with a first aid kit near the top( easily &quickly accessible ). The first thing you should see right on top is good made in America, quality heavy duty recovery gear (nothing from home depot or wallmart!!!!). Even just a good strap and two shackels minimum. It's almost impossible ( depending on who you are of course ) to overkill your recovery gear. If somthing bad happens, it normally happens quickly. When your hummer breaks down and you need to fix it you will be there awhile so get out the folding chars and beer cooler and tool bags to hold down the moving blanket and your ready to repair. A uhf/vhf radio is a no brainer( cb radios suck!). Tools i would bring are basic hand tools (no affiliation but snap-on makes a nice Bluepoint kit https://store.snapon.com/Product-Details-BLPGSSC100B-P874799.aspx thats a good amount of tooks in a little easy to carry blue box.), big and small hammer and prybars, pickle fork, butane or map gas torch, good recharable flashlight, zip ties, bailing wire, sour patch kids( these are great for plugging some CTiS leaks), wiring tools, floor jack & jack stand, electric drill and grinder with extra batterys and charger, etc. etc. liquid nitrogen bottles with regulator is great for running air tools. Also bring the spare parts that break like pmds and steering parts and ball joints.

Ian Ward
Rollin Road Service
Iandanielward@yahoo.com

Kurt

I'm building my carry kit this weekend.

What it's looking like:

-2 large rubber wheel chocks [harbor freight]
-1 6 ton [single rated] jackstand
-HMMWV Jack kit [largest item, its the 2 part new style hydraulic ]

-Craftsman wrench/socket kit in plastic case
-Extra tools: misc items, but in particular, the large socket for the pitman nut and a breaker bar for general use.
-Dewalt impact gun
-Misc headlamps/flashlights
-First aid kit
-Full-size fire extinguisher
-Multi tool bag kit [shovel, tool, etc] I have the ARB or Hi Lift brand.

-Bubba rope/tow strap with shackles
-Blue hummer hub disconnect kit
-Steering box bolts spare set
-Chain and bolt on motor mounts

Parts:

-spare serp belt
-Ball joint set x1
-Half shaft [2 front 1 rear, may replace with a build a shaft kit down the road]
-Idler & Pitman arm
-Tie rod x1, radius arm x1

Fluids:

DOT 5 [for pre 98 trucks]
Coolant
Quart of motor oil
Quart of Dexron
Gear oil
Water

cooler + chairs :)