• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Orangutruck

SuperBuickGuy

want to see, yay or nay?

I'm building a pickup for me - it's a 1972 Chevy C-10 truck.

so I'm not even sure what the basics are going to be. I like long beds (which it is) but since I have to replace the sheet metal anyway, it could get shrunk. As for the motor - a 12:1 compression BBC, or perhaps some twin-turbo LS action might be the ticket....

SuperBuickGuy

apparently the prior owner (actually, the uncle of the prior owner) felt there weren't enough rust holes in the floor so he put a few more in (which let mice in - more on that later)

You've no idea the temptation to simply cover this and wait to watch the episode where some punk kid complains about the terrible repair job done 20 years before... alas, I'll only give in a bit to that temptation

make a panel

and another panel (note the 90* bend - so much easier to weld when at least one part isn't moving.)

fitted... tomorrow welding

so when I was cutting, I got the smell of roasting dead mouse.... decided to park the truck outside tonight, it was a couple hours between cutting and putting it outside, but safety 3rd is my motto

awalsh

Can't wait to see this build! I almost bought an old k-10 step side on 19" of lift and 44s [emoji23] happy I ended up with the 3 instead
Would love to get an old truck in the future tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperBuickGuy

carrying on, tack the patch in place

the grey is weld-through primer and that was after I used copious amounts of rust converter

inner panel

screwed back on because I may not be able to dink with this tomorrow night.

it fits a lot better now. I still need to fix the front post and door jamb... but it bears retelling - this isn't a restoration, this is a repair and a nice looking truck in the end that I'll use to haul my dirt bikes and anything else that needs hauling in an open bed....

Mr_Rich

apparently the prior owner (actually, the uncle of the prior owner) felt there weren't enough rust holes in the floor so he put a few more in (which let mice in - more on that later)

You've no idea the temptation to simply cover this and wait to watch the episode where some punk kid complains about the terrible repair job done 20 years before... alas, I'll only give in a bit to that temptation

make a panel

and another panel (note the 90* bend - so much easier to weld when at least one part isn't moving.)

fitted... tomorrow welding

so when I was cutting, I got the smell of roasting dead mouse.... decided to park the truck outside tonight, it was a couple hours between cutting and putting it outside, but safety 3rd is my motto

During my high school years our family had a '66 Chevy pu with a 283 and 3-speed on the column. It was bought new and in the first 40K miles I remember those rockers on the inside of the cab rusting out to the point you could poke your fingers through. I loved that truck at the time but my folks sold it during my military time so I never had a chance to get it. I later had a '73 Chevy pu that had typical rust-through for those years. I admire the work you're willing to put into this truck and look forward to the results.

SuperBuickGuy

it's like my 50 Buick sedanette - they came with rusted floorboards from the factory, this is actually pretty solid, there's some stuff on the Chevy truck board that I wonder at the amount of work they went into to save it.

My dad had a similar vintage shop truck - never did think it was an attractive truck but (as the truck the entire shop drove) its durability was beyond peer. Straight 6, 4 speed, slow, ugly but utterly reliable... I kind of miss it too.

SuperBuickGuy

back to this
So there was a leak... and I'm sure the prior owner thought it was coming from the door.... so he added some weather strip and adjusted the door so tight that sometimes it needed to be kicked from the inside to get it open.... time to fix this

there's the leak

someone drilled a hole for an antenna wire

no more hole

and some sealant to make it water tight

while I had it apart....

oh blast

copper on the front, weld on the back

and while I was at it, time to make the mice find another entrance

I seriously considered not fixing this

weld patch over top, if I ever do a frame off, weld under the floorpan.... or more likely slather with rock-guard and let someone whine about it in 40 years when they rebuild it again