• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Pulling AirBag Fuse

USMC_315

On my last wheeling trip I took with Bowser-II and napalmsticks, my airbags deployed on what was basically a dirt road. I'm pretty sure Bowser said something about pulling the fuse for the airbags before going off road just to prevent cases like this.

Are there any long term (or even short term) issues this can cause, the action of pulling and resitting the fuse over time? I just wanna make sure I won't cause any more issues where I may have to deal with this or something similar in the future.

Thanks in advance!

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Nothing that you do to the fuse or system can be worse than constantly deploying airbags every time you go off road. I always remove my fuse the moment I leave the pavement. H3s are known to have this issue and GM has not addressed it, so we have to by doing this.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
For future reference, which one is it and is it the same across all model years?

Trying to dig up my PDF version of the manual to post a schematic but I cannot find the damn thing.

Arggggg.

SuperBuickGuy

I've never had trouble with deploying airbags (in my Hummer - VW Jetta, yes, but not Hummer)... that said, I also had to replace the airbag computer because it thought I'd rolled.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
For future reference, which one is it and is it the same across all model years?

Trying to dig up my PDF version of the manual to post a schematic but I cannot find the damn thing.

Arggggg.

Or just wait until you get onto the trail and pull a bunch at once until you find the right one :banghead:

4speedfunk

Look on the bright side...now that the bags have deployed, slice them off with a razor blade, clean up the powder, and never worry about it happening again.
Problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle

I actually am in the process of building an "off road" switch. It will be a key on/off switch to turn off the air bags. Just like some cars have a key slot to disable to front air bag, the H3 will have one to disable the entire airbag system with a simple turn of a key.

USMC_315

I actually am in the process of building an "off road" switch. It will be a key on/off switch to turn off the air bags. Just like some cars have a key slot to disable to front air bag, the H3 will have one to disable the entire airbag system with a simple turn of a key.

Is this an easy project, I'm going to assume no. How does the switch work?

USMC_315

Nothing that you do to the fuse or system can be worse than constantly deploying airbags every time you go off road. I always remove my fuse the moment I leave the pavement. H3s are known to have this issue and GM has not addressed it, so we have to by doing this.

I agree, however I want to make sure pulling the fuse and resitting it over and over again won't screw it up so the bags would deploy upon me resitting the fuse or pulling it. Or even worse preventing the air bags from deploying in the event I got into an actual accident.

4speedfunk

I have no problem with a good seat belt and vigilant driving. If it wasn't federally mandated I would have ordered mine without airbags. Same for auto headlights, door locks, and all the other lawsuit options.
I always thought it would be cool if GM had a "feature" console inside the glovebox. This console would be a small plastic box with twenty or so micro switches...and it would allow the owner to custom tailor the electronic b.s. to his liking. Grab a small pick and switch on/off the stuff you want. Imagine if we could toggle stuff like Passlock, shift firmness, etc?
And while you're at it... give us a USB diagnostic port so we aren't forced to buy some code reader dohinky.

Kyle

Is this an easy project, I'm going to assume no. How does the switch work?

Fairly easy actually, just have to tap into the terminals where the fuse is currently, run wire over to the cab where you want the switch, install the key switch and it's golden! I'm going to do a full write up on it with wiring measurements and switch location.

USMC_TOP

We have our prisoner transport vans bags modified with air bag shut offs. There are companies that sell nice keyed switches and wiring harnesses made just for this. If you like I can get more info on it for you.

chaos254

I'd be very careful wiring anything into the airbag system. I'll stick with taking the 30 seconds to pop the hood and pull the fuse.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

USMC_315

We have our prisoner transport vans bags modified with air bag shut offs. There are companies that sell nice keyed switches and wiring harnesses made just for this. If you like I can get more info on it for you.

Would def be interested in this

USMC_315

I'd be very careful wiring anything into the airbag system. I'll stick with taking the 30 seconds to pop the hood and pull the fuse.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't repeatedly doing this be more harmful to the system? I'm not sure on all this electrical stuff, that's why I'm trying to get as much info lol

Kyle

A keypad design would be cool too, idk where there's room to mount it but it would for sure feel like James Bond lol

USMC_315

Ok, so I found out from a GM technician today from the dealership my 3 is getting worked on at and he said it's perfectly fine. The fuse can be pulled and re-seated as many times as you like with no long term damage. He also noted that when pulling the fuse there is a temporary "lag". Basically your sensors can still be tripped for the next 10-15 minutes after this is pulled but after that you are good to go. Some may already know this, just figured it's good info to pass on to the wheelers here!

Kyle

Ok, so I found out from a GM technician today from the dealership my 3 is getting worked on at and he said it's perfectly fine. The fuse can be pulled and re-seated as many times as you like with no long term damage. He also noted that when pulling the fuse there is a temporary "lag". Basically your sensors can still be tripped for the next 10-15 minutes after this is pulled but after that you are good to go. Some may already know this, just figured it's good info to pass on to the wheelers here!
good to know, so within the 10-15 mins the bags can still go off? or just the sensor trip and set a fault?