• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 SAS down under....

RamRod

This is a perfect example of oz mentally, for the most part they typically make very practical decisions when it comes to modifying cars not stuff to make it flashy and "cool"

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

4speedfunk

The latest report from down under...

The V8 swap is up and running. Running quite well, apparently. The owner twisted a brand new MileMarker lock-out in half, during a test session. Keep in mind this is a 4:1 low range, 5.13 gears, and a relatively mild 35" tire. Coupled with the V8, this truck will be pushing the limits of a stock Dana 44. I contacted MileMarker on his behalf and got the usual "go to hell" response...which resulted in immediate and permanent blacklisting of all MileMarker products around THORparts. From now on I will be using only Warn lock-outs. The owner has since replaced the MileMarkers with SuperWinch units (which I think is an AU-based company), and he reported that they were much better built than the MileMarker hubs that I supplied with his axle.

Fast forward another week, and POP...the stub axle on the same side snapped. He thinks the stub was damaged when the MM hub broke, and possibly contributed to the failure. Regardless, the shafts are the weakest link on any Dana 44 and I recommended a full set of Yukon 4340 shafts (inner, outer, and super joints). Changing just the stub is temporary and chromoly shafts are the best money you can spend on a D44. He is currently waiting on the shafts but, here's a pic of his rig crawling...

Aussie-crawlin.jpg

GreatDaneHummer

One of the best builds IMO. I really love seeing this come together and the challenges he has faced. Thank you very much for sharing these updates CJ.

RamRod

That thing is rad!!

I wonder what that thing is that wrapped around the snorkel, its in all the pic's 3/4 the way up the snorkel

JPaul

It doesn't look like it's merely an extension, it's awfully clean looking and oversize for that. I'm wondering if it's a pre-filter perhaps?

amrg

Or a rubber padding to stop the antenna slapping on the snorkel when bouncing side to side or driving down the highway (at least thats what happens in my case)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

GreatDaneHummer

It would be nice to add a pre filter to stop smelling everything in this city. I wish there was a cabin filter or something. Always smells like outside crap. *end rant

Peep

Really dusty and ultra fine dust on long roads, my bet is a pre filter of some kind. :hfalls:Might be good for running away from thouse frequent Australian pyroclastic volcano flows

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Another benefit is no upper link keeps the truck LOW! Awesome benefit.

Another drawback LOW hanging radius arm mounts off the front axle...That sucks!!!

4speedfunk

The upper link has no bearing on clearance for ride height.
This truck sits this low due to the steering box....not the suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
The upper link has no bearing on clearance for ride height.
This truck sits this low due to the steering box....not the suspension.

Your 3rd link isn't the first thing in the suspension to limit your up travel?

4speedfunk

Your 3rd link isn't the first thing in the suspension to limit your up travel?

Nope. The pitman arm-to-tie rod clearance is. After that its 37" tire-to-fender clearance (stock wheelbase). Not sure what it would take to run out of space on the link tower. Worst case, you could use the middle hole and chop the top of it off. On the 5-cylinder...there's really nothing in the way, and the link tower fits perfectly up into a void between the frame and the motor.

Is the steering box benefit from being on the opposite side or just the model that he used? Ignorance is bliss haha

His steering box benefit is two fold:
First, he is using a reverse steer box (Toyota FJ-80 maybe?)...so the pitman arm points forward. Because of this...the pitman-arm is not located directly above the tie-rod. So the two are not in danger of colliding during full compression. Second, because of the forward pointing pitman arm, he was able to scoot the axle forward quite a bit (2" I'de guess). This allows him to lower the ride height as well because the tire is not in danger of rubbing on the fender. So the benefit is multi-pronged and I honestly wish I had done this with my rig. This box is available in both RH and LH versions.

Additionally, he is able to run Corp-10b knuckles on his cross-over steering. This is only possible because he has RH steering and everything is "flipped" from the normal position. The fact that Corp-10b's never came with a passenger-side flat-top is irrelevant in Australia...because he needs a DRIVERS-side flat-top (which they all are). The difference between the Dana-44 and Corp-10b knuckles is that the tie-rod mounts in a lower position on the Corp-10b's. While this may hang-up on trail obstacles, it also gives more clearance above the knuckle for the up travel (and allows lower ride height). This is only possible because he has RH steering. Here in the states, we would not be able to run this because Corp-10b knuckles never came with a passenger-side flat-top. So we run Dana-44 knuckles to get the passenger-side flat-top, and thus allow us to bolt a steering arm to the passenger side and run a typical cross-over steering rig. This is sort of a non-issue in terms of travel clearance but, its worth pointing out that RH drive trucks have the option to run cheap (like $20 each) Corp 10b knuckles, while us LH drive trucks must bone up $250 for the Dana passenger-side flat-top. They are increasingly rare and the prices reflect that.

Panzer07

What about a y link steering system doesnt that make the need for flat top irrelevant.
66cee16ca60f2dd3aab42016a2a1a244.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Panzer07

Is there any disadvantage to using a y-link versus directly tying to the knuckle?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
I herd there a slightly play when going left to right...ruffstuff males a sleeve tho to fix that.

Panzer07

Yes.

BTW...I have a y-link TRE if you need one.
I'm good I didn't learned about the t link till months after I purchase knuckles and other stuffs. I just wanted to put that y link out for those that might not know about it

Last edited:

4speedfunk

I couldn't get the y-link to work on my rig, (which is why I still have the TRE). After mocking it up, the angle was too far away from my track bar angle.