• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Custom rebuild and redesign of Humvee / H1

High Five H2

Why don't you just use different differentials? Seems like the simplest solution. 20 inches of wheel travel would be cool but 1) the independent suspension may not be able to move that much and B) even if it could, sometimes you have to make a trade-off. It's starting to sound like your drive train is something Dr. Seuss would design. If you goal is a light weight, more fun to drive large vehicle then you probably don't want to have components that you could do without.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
No problem, it can be overwhelming. I've been there...I don't have the funds to order a **** ton of stuff at once so I came with a game plan, detailed plan and based this plan on my experiences of vehicle failure, what I intend to do with my vehicle which was hardcore off-roading while retaining streetability and comfort to drive long distances.

Then improve on the modifications I already did. For example, a Dana 44 low pinion was a problem, I kept breaking it. I found out the housing was trashed with a bad bearing race surface. I switched to a HP housing and that got me a good housing with the added strength of a high pinion front. Been great...

I already have my next plan in place dana 60s are expensive as hell here! 1200-1500 stock needing thousands for a rebuild plus locker/gears

So I picked up a rear Dana 70 for free, stock Dana 60 shafts and a lot of other Dana 60 parts like hubs knuckles etc for cheap!! I'm in the axle wayyyy less then 1k and I'm with a biggerR&P.

These are the things you can do with planning.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
I see the beginnings of the Harley Davidson company represented in the latest made for tv series that was recently released.

I love to see the madness going on here and ultimately GDH will be considered a genius in 80 years or less. You need a couple more investors that see your vision and you'll be on the roller coaster that is producing this vehicle. Instead of being sued by Indian though, I fear you're going to be facing Ford in some Raptor'esque lawsuit for copyright infringement.

Get a prescription for heart burn meds and ride it out. Looking forward to your success and having these forum transcripts viewed on the big screen as support for when you make it big and get your own movie!

BTW, GDH Motor Company can be used for your vehicle badges as "GDH", but please just give me at least a mention for how your company got it's name

Last edited:

GreatDaneHummer

Sorry guys didn't see anyone post in here. The only problem we are having is the cold temperatures. In order to properly pour the resin for the carbon fiber you have to have a stable warm temperature of close to 80 degree's. The shop heater can only keep it around 60 with these 35 degree days and it is even worse with the door opening all the time working on customers trucks. Even if no one in the market wants to purchase anything from me I will still finish this first prototype. If I where to out source a lot of this work yes this build could get up over $500k but with doing it all between 3 guys and minimal out sourcing for the frame; now it will be much less.

One of the things a lot of you guys don't know is I keep my normal day job finances separate from my fun money / build money so in order to fund this project I work on customers H3's and now I have started working on some Jeeps etc. This all pulls time away from this project. The raw carbon fiber and carbon kevlar is already purchased. Last night I spent 4 hours to get a stuck H3's torsion bar out of lower control arm because it was fully rotated wedged in the lower control arm hex hole. I now have to torch it out this morning and replace the lower control arm as it is no longer keyed correct. Good money fixing others mistakes like this but again it takes time. As soon as the weather is stable I will post up some pictures or better yet some video's now that I started a youtube channel.

my guess is lack of funding, lack of market size to justify any return on investment etc. forged carbon is fairly expensive, this build would probably cost over a million.

Kyle

Sorry guys didn't see anyone post in here. The only problem we are having is the cold temperatures. In order to properly pour the resin for the carbon fiber you have to have a stable warm temperature of close to 80 degree's. The shop heater can only keep it around 60 with these 35 degree days and it is even worse with the door opening all the time working on customers trucks. Even if no one in the market wants to purchase anything from me I will still finish this first prototype. If I where to out source a lot of this work yes this build could get up over $500k but with doing it all between 3 guys and minimal out sourcing for the frame; now it will be much less.

One of the things a lot of you guys don't know is I keep my normal day job finances separate from my fun money / build money so in order to fund this project I work on customers H3's and now I have started working on some Jeeps etc. This all pulls time away from this project. The raw carbon fiber and carbon kevlar is already purchased. Last night I spent 4 hours to get a stuck H3's torsion bar out of lower control arm because it was fully rotated wedged in the lower control arm hex hole. I now have to torch it out this morning and replace the lower control arm as it is no longer keyed correct. Good money fixing others mistakes like this but again it takes time. As soon as the weather is stable I will post up some pictures or better yet some video's now that I started a youtube channel.

Very cool!!! Glad to hear it's still on! Now the whole body and chassis is going to be made out of carbon fiber layers? Not forged carbon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreatDaneHummer

I wish I had a good CAD guy to show you better drawings of the redesign but unfortunately we are working off my mid level Solid Works skills and I haven't figured out how to put them to JPG or something viable. The major body panels are a combination of Carbon Fiber, Carbon Tow and Carbon Kevlar. My own hybrid mix. This is a layered design. I would like to use more Forged Carbon for more of the interior but every forged part requires a metal mold to be created where as the Carbon Fiber blend can be done with high temp carbon fiber molds. Basically Forged Carbon is the best but also way more expensive so as funds permit I would like to use more of it but right now it is just a killer on the wallet. I have to try and keep things reasonable to get to an end. I also have my first commercial orders for some race team hoods to be created and if I can deliver on them then much more funds can go towards forged creations. It all goes back to weather issues.