• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

New to h3 ownership in South Carolina

SirHeuer

Probationary Member
Well? Where to begin? Against my wife's wishes, i bought an 06 h3. So far i have resolved the roof leaking... Just in time for the tranny to lose 3 and 4th gear. Ugh.
I have had dodges, yotas, jeeps, and rover disco... This is my first venture with a gm... After reading of off road capabilities, i was hopeful to buy the h3 vs a 40k dollar rubicon. Starting to get a bad taste already... Haha.
I aquired a 4l60e from an 04 silverado w/5.3L but am not sure if it will work... Any ideas?

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to H4O. Buying a ten year old vehicle should have prepared you for some wear and tear repairs. I am not certain but think the new tranny should work. Some of the more experienced H3 guys will chime in soon.

SirHeuer

Probationary Member
Thank you for your response. Having been a car collector and restorer for nearly 30 years, i have to say that even with my last sold datsun, never had such an issue finding usable and fair priced parts. I guess i did have delisions on buying this one... Haha. They dont make em like they use to i guess. Lol.

SirHeuer

Probationary Member
Ok. Answered my own question. Definitely wont work. Input shaft splines are different, solenoides/switches are different and rebuild kits are different...

SirHeuer

Probationary Member
Back to square 1. Tranny has no drive (3 and 4th) but ok in 1,2, and R... From my reading so far, either broken sprag or burnt 3-4 clutch... Was hoping to find a usable tranny while i disect the original one for the first time.

Last edited:

Kyle

Its most likely a burnt clutch, I doubt the I5 has enough power to strip the sunshell or forward sprag gear. Take it to a local trans shop, they should be able to tell you right away once they crack open the trans. Have you dropped the trans pan and looked for any metal?

Stoic Bluejay

Welcome from Illinois. Sorry to hear about the issues. Have to say my 2006 H3 hasn't had any tranny issues. Got'er in 2008 at around 31000. In fact I've had very few problems overall. Hopefully your knocking out the bad luck and I just didn't get some for saying that. Lol

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'd say it's not unusual for a transmission to fail on an older vehicle, but as you found out, they are not standardized. Heck, there's differences between an 06 and an 07 transmission (one more sensor in the 07, at a minimum). I believe the H3s are good vehicles, but as I just said in another post, with any used car be ready to put in some $. I think my Audi ate up $2700 in a year, and I had $2500 to go (dumped it) and my Infiniti ate up a few hundred right off the bat.

If I were to buy an H3 right now I suspect I'd throw in at least $1000 to get it into the condition that I'd want.

Even if you put in a $2K transmission, I'm guessing you're $20K+ ahead of a $40K Rubicon.