• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 I5 Homemade cold air intake/tube

awalsh

Going to attempt the PVC cold air intake tube tonight, can anyone specify what is needed other than 3.5" pvc
I think the previous form was deleted with the list of parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle

I was the one that originally did it, you will need some extra rubber hose for the pcv valve and a connector for the new tube and a coupler for the new line to the pcv valve rubber hose end

awalsh

I was the one that originally did it, you will need some extra rubber hose for the pcv valve and a connector for the new tube and a coupler for the new line to the pcv valve rubber hose end

Yes I knew this: just found your post, 1/2 inch hose and 1/2 inch coupler, I'll update later.

Last edited:

Kyle

Yes I knew this, but what are the sizes of hose and coupler valve?

I just got under the hood and brought the pcv tube to pep boys and matched it up best I could to some rubber hose line they had same goes for the couplers, you don't need super thick hoses or any special couplers long as it's free flowing you will be fine.

Kyle

Kyle's h3 build

Update, i was bored yesterday and decided that i was going to build my own air doc intake. So after looking at a couple photos, and going under the hood and taking a couple measurements, i went to lowes and got 1ft of 1/2in rubber hose, a 1/2in coupler with thread on one side and a a ribbed side for the hose to slide on too. Lastly i bought a 3.5inch pipe. After measuring again and fitting everything up and tightening it down i was done! Took her for a test drive, and WOW! Really loud and way better acceleration and throttle response.

Sent from the top of a mountain in my h3

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_fid=26758&share_type=t&share_pid=94547

awalsh

Is it 1/2" inner diameter or outer diameter for the coupler and hose?

awalsh

f69cbc579893ad59a4325e00421bb4af.jpg
almost finished. 3" pvc, 1/2 inch coupler and 1/2 inch hose. Just need to mount it

awalsh

Installed and honestly not a huge difference, very surprised but I will say it definitely opens up more when you step on it. I was expecting it make my exhaust louder but my exhaust is already really loud with that 6" tip/no muffler so I'm not surprised it doesn't rumble any more lol

Kyle

Installed and honestly not a huge difference, very surprised but I will say it definitely opens up more when you step on it. I was expecting it make my exhaust louder but my exhaust is already really loud with that 6" tip/no muffler so I'm not surprised it doesn't rumble any more lol

It makes the intake louder if anything, that giant box on the top of the motor is an intake silencer.

awalsh

It makes the intake louder if anything, that giant box on the top of the motor is an intake silencer.

Yes after driving it for a few days I agree 100%, and I will say it decreased the amount of engine drone I had inside of the cabin substantially.

USMC_315

I think I already talked to awalsh about this, but the AirDoc intake sys. is a HUGE waste of money. For as much as I paid for the damn thing, I expected it to fit perfectly, but nope. Sh*t... I even had to do some of my own fabs to it in order for it to stay seated correctly

awalsh

I think I already talked to awalsh about this, but the AirDoc intake sys. is a HUGE waste of money. For as much as I paid for the damn thing, I expected it to fit perfectly, but nope. Sh*t... I even had to do some of my own fabs to it in order for it to stay seated correctly

Yeah Scot I agree that's why I went with the pvc [emoji23]

4speedfunk

? My AirDoc fit perfectly....practically jumped out of the box and onto the motor.

650Hawk

I modified my (Alpha) intake to mimic an AirDoc. Simply cut the entire "muffler" section out, took some 1/8" thick ABS plastic, bent it to fit the curve and pop-riveted it in place along with silicone to seal it. Then relocated the fitting for the PCV line and added a bit longer line. Costed me nothing, looks fine, grants access to the top of the engine/wiring (with the HUMMER cover removed). Didn't notice any performance diff, although it does seem a tad louder.

Last edited: