• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer in the hospital

ArtHummer

All was well until I got t-boned in to my rear wheel by some idiot driving a Hunday Elentra. Dude must be going way over 50 mph on the 30 mph zone. Likely no one got killed or seriously injured. But the other guy was taking in to the hospital. I'm without a scratch, thanks to the Hummer strength. Can't say the same about the truck. The leaf spring got torn off the mount the whole suspension got shifted. Sway bar links are busted, drive shaft came out of transfer, but looks like no damage. Most likely the axle is damaged as well. I will make a WTB post in the Store section.
So, any way, since I will be working there, is there any other upgrades or alternatives I can go with? Probably will not do SOA do.

JPaul

If your spring was torn off, your frame is definitely going to be bent. I'd be surprised if it is still straight. It might not take too much to straighten it, but I dunno if it'll be worth the cost.

And don't be so sure that you're physically OK, you may end up waking up tomorrow in pain (if you just had the accident today). I had an accident with my Dodge Neon where I hit a wheel laying in the road. I thought I was fine, it rammed the passenger wheel back and busted my oil pan but it didn't even set off the airbags. Next day though when I woke up I could barely move, everything was tight and painful.

But yeah, don't be surprised if the insurance company decides to total it. I doubt it'll be as simple as welding on a new hanger and throwing a new axle under it. The devil is in the details on those kinds of wrecks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4speedfunk

Thats the dream impact for me. All suspension & frame...minimal body damage. Time to cut all the stock brackets off, do an SOA on the rear, replace the entire rear housing with an AP (e-locker) version. The SOA requires new extended links, driveshaft, spring mounts, etc....so you would be replacing all that stuff anyway. If the insurance company totals it...buy it back for nothin, and drop me a line. Bring the insurance check and your H3 to me, and I will return it to you in six weeks the way GM should have made it.

Like Spicoli says...

Attachments

• 42968112.jpg
    42968112.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 453

ArtHummer

Thats the dream impact for me. All suspension & frame...minimal body damage. Time to cut all the stock brackets off, do an SOA on the rear, replace the entire rear housing with an AP (e-locker) version. The SOA requires new extended links, driveshaft, spring mounts, etc....so you would be replacing all that stuff anyway. If the insurance company totals it...buy it back for nothin, and drop me a line. Bring the insurance check and your H3 to me, and I will return it to you in six weeks the way GM should have made it.

LOL... I had a feeling that you will be the first one to suggest a SOA... But, from what I understand SOA will lift the rear of the truck up about 3-4 inches. That will look like **** without the front end lift.(and I have no money to spend on that).
Getting e-lockers sounds like a good idea do. What will I need to get that done?

Plus, there are no money coming from the insurance any time soon. Since I was crossing the main intersection and had a stop sign, cops made me at fault. I got a lawyer and we will have to go to court to fight of the ticket first. And, after that, we will have to go after insurance.

Not sure if the truck is totaled or not, but i'm putting it back on the road. Plus I have liability so my insurance don't give a damn about it.

ArtHummer

So, question for all you. Are there any difference in the axles from 2006 to 2010? Is there a part number or model number for 2009 base model? What will it take to install axle with off-road package? Can I just install e-locker on the base model? what will I need for that?

Last edited:

JPaul

Fighting it might be tough, it'll depend on the laws where you are and what kind of proof you have. But generally if you get hit in the back half of the car you have a good chance of having it overturned. I once t-boned a guy because he decided to pull out in front of me all the way into my lane and then slam on his brakes so I had no where to go. I slid into him but because I hit the front half of his car the cops put him at fault. He lied and tried to say I was speeding but fortunately the cops could tell I hadn't been because the damage was so light. Even if I had been speeding I still had the right of way and he would have needed to yield to me, and him getting hit in the front half of the car, sitting fully in my lane with me starting a turn to try and avoid him proved he pulled out in front of me. The little prick got off when he fought the ticket though because he impressed the judge with how much research he did into the laws governing intersections. I'm sure later on in life he pulled out in front of someone else and hopefully got himself killed.

But stuff like this is exactly why I have a dash cam. Nothing stops a liar in their tracks like video evidence.

And I am not aware of any differences in the axles between years. Only differences is if it's a locker version or not. But you're pretty much only going to find open diff rear axles on the used market for H3's, the ones with lockers are fairly uncommon.

Traxx

Might want to let a competent body shop have a look and make sure it is salvageable and not a danger to other people on the road before just throwing parts at it.

4speedfunk

If you were issued a ticket...it's pretty much a done deal. Very hard to get the blame reversed.
Yes you are correct about the lift. You will definitely need to do something with the front end. The SOA is worth 5" +/-.
09-10 models have an improved 8.6 10-bolt with a larger inner pinion bearing. All H3 axles are dimensionally identical...so any year will fit. The only concern is making sure you get the correct ratio (4.10 or 4.56). The e-locker option can be wired-up outboard of the computer, with a typical relay/switch circuit.

ArtHummer

The blame was placed on me but I do have a really good fighting chance. The other driver was going double speed limit on 30mph and was on the phone. Do you think a damage like that can happen from 30 mph impact by Hunday Elentra? He hit me so hard, the truck almost flipped. I got witnesses saying that I was driving on 2 wheels for some time and they thought that I will surely flip it over... I got lowered up and we are building a case. It will be a long and ugly process and not even sure if I will be able to get my money back. But I'm not letting it go without a fight.

So, I found an axle and now looking for leaf springs. Looked at eBay and there are some OEM ones for in a range of $180 and there is an ARB CS059R for $239.41.
Has anyone tried or heard anything about ARB springs? Is it any better than OEM and worth spending extra back on it?

Ghostbuster

Might want to let a competent body shop have a look and make sure it is salvageable and not a danger to other people on the road before just throwing parts at it.

What he said. Your frame could be bent. Other things could be messed up that you haven't even seen yet. So don't start looking for parts and getting ahead of yourself.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
"Only a Hyundai Elantra" - which was a 2800 lb weight traveling at 60 mph? Yeah, I could see that doing a lot of visible and a lot of not readily visible damage. Impacts like that often ripple and damage areas away from the impact area.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Might consider full coverage on your next vehicle and not just liability. Where I live, it's a given. Too many without insurance, and, it's really not much more a month. Carry it on my toad and daughters car. Might be lawyered up, that does cost money

ArtHummer

No, regardless I'm fixing my baby and putting back on the road. And will cost me much more to get e new one rather than fixing. The frame looks good, but off course need to measure everything. For that need to get the truck moving and on the lift. If frame is kinked, it shouldn't be much and I can pull it back in to place. I've seen and worked on much worst things that that. Just need to get the right parts

So confused. Found a used axle on ebay for the 2006 H3. The guy tells me that it will feet only the 06 and will not be the right match for the other years. What could be different?