• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Walker Valley first run for '40

SuperBuickGuy

As you all know, I beat the mall out of my H3 years ago; but I love the rig and needed something a bit more capable so I built an FJ40 (this does not mean that the H3 won't be better in some revised form later)

My first run to Walker Valley OHV park

With Steve in his super-capable '40. I think his rig is the standard by which all should be measured.... not a high-dollar build, but stone cold reliable and stone cold capable. Good things to have on a 1st run of a new build :)

off we go

nice little run up a pretty tame trail

3' vertical, to a drop off that all you see is 40 feet down (to driver left)

my turn

I really need to work on Regis - he's going to break my camera with shots like this

going down a decent hill

hang on

so far so good

clearance and narrow are good things in Washington

yep, kind of steep

ignore the guy giving signals, Steve did

SuperBuickGuy

it's fine, I ignored Steve

my 3 would have struggled with this because clearance

where there is a rock

it must be climbed

to be continued with more adventures... there is a list of fixits, but that's on the build thread.... with that said, it drove 120 miles, wheel 20 and made it home without incident... success :)

Jerry S.

Looks like the only thing Toyota about the tan one is the emblem on the hood ? Nice stuff !!

SuperBuickGuy

It's a Toyevrord (the Jeep is silent)..... Chevy motor, chevy trans, jeep t-case (or scout 2), ford axles.... or to make it even more confusing, chevy motor, chevy trans, gm transfer case (new process), gm steering box (scout 2, saginaw), Dodge axles (dana).... there's also a smattering of aftermarket like king shocks, nitro axles.... I like the size of the '40, heck, with all that Toyota borrowed or stole from GM to build this thing, it's pretty much a GM product ;)

the green one isn't much better, it has toyo axles and t-case, but all GM everything else.

H3slate

Brush raked
Great pics! You are right about the clearance issues on the rocky section. Both Robert and I got hung up and had to winch our way past that section.