• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Leaking trans oil frI'm mystery tube?

Faulk74

Joined a month ago and have been really enjoying all the shared knowledge. Unfortunately, now I'm in need of some.

My 06 H3 Adventure, 140k, just started leaking what seems like transoil (red tinted). Any explanation what this tube is and why it's uncapped and leaking?

Thanks for the help

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/577ef1e963a90/0707162013.jpg
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/577ef1fc8d25a/0707162012.jpg
c87f8056e9e7407e67d7ee1121e40cc6.jpg
ea1f5a6329d0747d836535f51b5d4a9b.jpg
45f8ced30dd95a7889e405bd2a9e44d1.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Faulk74

Update: took it to the dealer since they had topped off the fluids recently and to me the transmission fluid looked over filled. It WAS over filled, by a LOT.

They are replacing and changing the filter. Hopefully that solves the problem. Sounds logical anyway; too much fluid making it overflow through vent line on a hot day.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

woodwardsh3

keep a copy of your receipt in case you have a problem's later, That should never happen at a dealer.
How long ago did they add to much trans fluid?

JPaul

What I don't understand is why is there a part of the breather system that is open ended, seems like water would still be able to flow up the hose (since the upper end is basically open to air flow so you wouldn't get an air pocket in the hose preventing water from entering) and get into the transmission if you went deep enough in water. Though I'd have to measure where the top of the transmission is where the breather tube connects to the transmission, since it might be over the 24" max fording depth GM specifies, which then I guess it'd be OK.

Either way, seems like it'd be better to maybe have a reservoir at the end of the bottom hose to allow for fluid drainage (since I'm assuming that's why that hose is there, in case the transmission is overfilled and heat expansion of the fluid it will bleed it off through the vent hose and drain out). Then you'd still have the overflow feature but it'd be sealed off to dirt/dust/water.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
ARB sells breather tube replacement kits, u can ran it as hi as u want. I don't like plastic tubing that comes with it but u can attach up to 2 or 4 tubes to same breather.

Panzer07

Yes like sarge said it arb makes a kit...and the tubing they provide is alright...i just plug the arb hose to the existing one...since I melted the arb hose when I plugged it straight to the transmission.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk