• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Photos, part 2

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've seen a bunch of posts lately about the photo uploads "not working" yet many members are having the uploader work just fine. That points to either of two issues:
1) uploaded photos are too large
2) local computer issues not related to the forum.

Some light reading is here: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/for...g-and-embedding-pictures-and-video-Here-s-How

Please note that we have a size limit on our photos, both in dimensions and size. Currently, we're limiting photos to about 700k, about .7mb. We do not have unlimited storage on our server and thus we must limit the sizes that can be uploaded. Smaller sizes keep our database manageable as well as page loads.

I still find it easier to store photos on sites like Photobucket or SmugMug and link them. However, if you do not want to use those sites you will have to shrink some photos down. I use Picasa software and its "Export" feature to reduce file sizes. Any photo editing software can do this, or even sites like this: http://www.picresize.com/ (I have not tested that site; it's just one I found with a Google Search.)

In short, photo uploads are working if you work within the constraints we have. We're keeping this forum free, we don't have advertising (except for a few specific vendors that are no longer asked to pay), I've removed the Donate button. I can move to a much more expensive hosting platform that could accommodate larger pictures but there are unfortunate financial implications that would come with that change. If y'all want Google ads on these pages we can do that, but I'd rather not.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info Alex.

A couple of things to note.

If you use a hosting service, you can most likely set/limit the size of your uploaded photos in your hosting service’s account settings and never have to worry about exceeding H4O size limitations.

If you are uploading pics from your hosting service to the site, remember to un check the box for “Retrieve remote file and reference locally”.

That will eliminate those pesky “attached” photos from the bottom of your posts.

Also, when replying to a pic heavy post, please edit out the IMG code so we do not get redundant images (over and over and over and over).

Just a common courtesy thing.

Woodtick

attachment.php
Works on my end. I pull them off my IPad and post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 277

4speedfunk

So why do photos "double-post" when I send them from my PC? It puts them in the body of the post AND also attaches them at the end.
This doesn't happen when I post from Tapatalk on an IPhone.