• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Dusy Ershim Trail August 2016

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
While the trip has not started yet we have been doing a TON of prep. I figure I will add pictures and have a little blog update here.

So after the Rubicon last year we had such a blast we decided we needed another multi day trip next summer. With the Dusy and Fordyce as multi day trips we figured we would try the Dusy since it was supposedly the next toughest and then fordyce since it was the toughest of them all. After all 3 are completed we can plan Hummer trips with bebe. Rubicon would be a great hummer group trip!

After the rubicon I blew a low pinion D44, lots of weird things happened with that axle. blew another one and then I got the high pinion D44 and have had much more luck with it so far. We realized this trip we need a stouter drivetrain since its a longer and much more remote trail. The rubicon we ran in 2 full days. We took our time, we took as many hard lines as we could and we realized it could be done in less or more time. By taking as many bypasses as you can you can do it in a day. For the Dusy we realized we needed more prep. The rubicon has much more traffic, a shorter trail and lower elevation. The dusy is double the length, way less traffic and over 10k feet elevation. It has been argued by many that the trail is tougher, some say easier, some say the same. One thing that all people agree on is that driver fatigue plays a role after 4 long days of driving people break due to fatigue.

We have 4 vehicles so far and the proper prep will be listed.

Squeaky, the oddball of the bunch. Since breaking the lo pin 44 I swapped out a HP44 and call it good. The rear 10 bolt shaft broke at hammers so I put an eaton in. Since I did the swap I have only a little over 100 miles on the swap and 2 local wheeling trips. I havent driven it much due to travel for work and on the weekends I have been spending my time in a driveway under a welding helmet helping prep the other rigs instead of wheeling. Squeaky is basically finished, the #1 I think to do is drive the new setup and get comfortable with it and make sure it is up to par so the quicker I finish my brother's jeep the quicker I can start testing mine. Offroad it was nice, no breakage from drinkwater and Gorman.

Drinkwater Gorman damage Since I finished the Hummer it was time to tackle the Jeep. My brother was having some bizarre issues with his rear axle. It was fine for 2-3 years and then it started getting extremely hot, to the point where you couldn't touch the diff cover. It got so hot the bearings burnt up and the R&P failed on the street. We brought it to a pro to do the gears since I didnt have time and then the same thing happened again a month later. Its very weird since it was fine for years before. So he got a new school 14 bolt from an 02 Suburban 2500. It has factory discs and a parking brake. Artec makes a truss kit for it so its all weld on and play no guessing. His front Hi pinion D44 has been flawless but since he is running 40s he figured sell it off and go 60. We then got an 05 super duty high pinion D60 and artec sells a truss for that as well. His build has really come along.
-supercharged 3.8
-dual cases 1:1, 2.72:1 and 7.3:1
-Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear with lockers and 5.38s
-king shocks
-116in wheelbase
-lots of armor
Best of all all of this stuff he picked up cheap over the years since there is an abundant amount of slightly used high quality parts selling on JK forums.

The 14 bolt is currently under, it still needs the gears and locker installed. Hes going with a detroit and 5.38s. On the D44s he had he was with 5.13s to get a slightly bigger pinion but with the massive ring gears he can afford to go to 5.38s without issues. Other then that it just needs the ABS lines hooked back up and the tone rings pressed on and the brakelines/parking brake. Only issue we have had is that the bigger shock body that the King shocks have are very close to the track bar bracket, I will trim down and modify the trackbar bracket for some added room. The D60 is all cut down, it was a PAIN. We probably cut 20lbs worth of factory brackets off of it. Now the truss is going on. After that we can put the axle under and start building the steering for it. The axle we will gear and lock after its already on the road since it has locking hubs and we can turn the front off. For his build, like mine, ABS will be retained. His old D44 that is fully built, trussed, locked, geared, and gusseted will be modified to go under my buddy's TJ.

Here is my brothers old D44, we were cleaning it and prepping it for the TJ, the lifetime table has helped build many axles but it finally bit the dust! Also had some time to get my old 10 bolt down to Panzer and get it the rear spring over done.
Now for my buddy's TJ, he is waiting on some news that will determine if he will be using the D44 or not. Once he figures that out we can continue his build.

Last but not least we have an XJ going with us. Its a clean XJ that is new to wheeling, He already put a 5in lift on it, bumpers, etc. He is picking up an 8.8 with 4.10s and a limited slip at the junkyard. then will clean it up bring it to me and I will weld up the XJ brackets. He will also take the D30 from my buddy with the TJ since his is already geared to 4.10s and locked. Other then that he just needs me to get the XJ unibody stiffeners welded on.

So in a nutshell thats why I havent been wheeling! 1 axle swap for me, 2 for my brother, 2 for the XJ and 1 for the TJ. Some gear installs, some locker installs, some fabrication involved. The 1 tons are my brother's last axle's he will need, since you cant go much bigger then that, my rear axle is the last one I will need, the D44 front and 8.8 should be the last axles for a light TJ on 37s. Once we get our "final axles" under and built we hope we can go wheeling whenever instead of the problems we (mostly me) have endured since we have started pushing ourselves to tougher and tougher trails. I will keep this updated as we get closer to the dusy and once I start wheeling some trails I will put together some runs in so cal.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Yea lol the neighbors have been cool with it since I have always been the first to assist when they have car problems. I told my parents when I leave I will get their driveway cleaned up and re sealed for all the years of letting me use it. Not sure how much longer I'll be living here as I save my pennies to leave but this driveway has given me many memories and lessons on wrenching.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
An update: we are just 60 days from our trip and all the vehicles are still getting worked on.

Squeaky, the H3 at this point is probably closest to being done. I put a 300 miles road trip on her and the eaton HO72 did great as in it didn't blow up! Yay!! Lol my main concern was road miles, I knew off road it would do fine but road miles at a constant freeway speed seems to do more damage for me. So the rear axle is now perfect. I installed ram assist yesterday, other then that I just have to install new axle shafts (RCVs) inner axle seals because I have a leak and then if time permits revalve my shocks a bit stiffer. The shock revalve isn't a major one as it's worked for the past year since the first revalve.

Ram assist

300 mile road trip to hammers

My brothers jeep is on the ground. Just gotta finish up some stuff like tightening up loose bolts and little things. Then drive it find problems and fix them. He still needs to get his front gears and locker taken care of but first we gotta get it driving. He also needs a retune for the supercharger. It surges at idle sometimes.

Getting it out of the driveway and washed is always the first big step!

The TJ needs to start modifying the JKs old front 44 to go under it. He needs a regear for the rear when he puts that in as well.

The XJ needs an 8.8 install out back which is almost done and swap the TJs D30 since it has the right gear ratio for the 8.8 and has a locker.

8.8 transportation for the XJ

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
We leave on Friday! All rigs are basically done.

In the past 5 months
Squeaky got
RCV shafts for the hi pinion 44
Eaton HO72 rear end
Ram assist
40s (test set wasn't ready in time got pro comp MT2s)

JK
Geared trussed and locked D60 from 2005 F250 and 14 bolt from 02 truck.
Ram assist
All new steering

TJ D44 swap from a Jk
Geared built locked trussed etc
Regear rear 8.8
Long arm front
My old 37s

ZJ
New motor (hole in the old one lol)
Front locker
New steering/trackbar setup
Stretch the front 1.5in

Other TJ
Got 35s
Front locker
Winch

XJ went from stock to
8.8 limited slip
Locked front end
Long arm
35s
Steering
Armor
Bumpers
Winch.

We're all excited!!!!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
We made it off the trail! Hummer had no issues. ZJ broke a steering box so it took us an extra day to get off the trail. Took us 4 days to go 33 miles. Beautiful scenery and great weather during the day. Nights were cold at 10k feet up. Gas is a must for this trip! I had an extra spare 6 gallons and even after adding the 6 gallons I finished with less then 1/4 tank.

Body damage is almost given with a full size. Even my brothers jk got a dent. TJs and samauris are a good width for this trail lol I almost punched out the back window. I hit the glass somehow it didn't break. Winch off my rack to pull some weight off the tree and drove out of it

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Ok sorry for the delay! My computer isnt loading pics, I will add them but here is a story to hold you guys over

DAY 1-Friday
Friday we all met up plan to leave at 9:30am. Wrapping up last minute things like ram assist on my brothers JK and trimming to fit 40s on the H3 we ended up leaving around 11:30. The drive up was uneventful and we got into Fresno around 3ish. One of the guy's in our group used to live in fresno and had a friend who said we could leave all our doors at his house. So we stopped there dropped off all our doors and stopped for a bite to eat in fresno afterwords. After that we had to hunt down an iphone car charger and a go pro charger because those were left at home :no:

After that we drove on up to Shaver Lake, this took a while! It is a LONG STEEP drive up and my buddy in the ZJ was overheating his trans to 270. With 35s and 3.73s gears it was really taxing the trans. We stopped a few times. We also had some others getting their motor warm as well. After stopping 2 times for the ZJ I pulled him up via tow strap to meet up with the rest of the group. Surprisingly I did not overheat! Way to go trans cooler and V8 power :)

We finally got up to the trail head around 9pm after many delays. The Dusy sign starts at voyager rock trail which is about 3 miles of pretty easy terrain, the official trail starts right after the campground and with Chicken rock. We went in a mile or two on voyager rock found a nice granite slab and setup camp for the night.

DAY 2- Starting the trail!
We immediately started with Chicken Rock, a steep rock face that offers pretty views at the top! After chicken rock you continue to traverse the granite faces for a little more before you dive into the forest. We were taken back by the trail, viewed as tougher then the rubicon we were expected non stop action for 33 miles but that was not the case. If the average H3 on 35s t bar crank rear locker 4:1 asked me what is tougher I would still say the dusy. The dusy has no bypasses. It is one trail and you stick to that trail. The rubicon has bypasses for most of everything. When we ran the rubicon we took every hard line we could take making the rubicon harder then the dusy but at the same time taking every easy line the rubicon can be easier then the dusy. Back on topic the dusy started out with many dirt roads nestled tight between trees that made traversing full size full bodied rigs a challenge. After getting the H3 through a tight spot I bumped up over a rock and BANG, I never heard such a loud noise from plastic cracking as I hit my flare. Shortly after that we had my brother unseat and lose a coil spring and hit/knock off his evap canister. We ziptied that back up and reseated the coil and were on our way. We ended up to Thompson Hill late in the day. Many claim the toughest part of the trail is going up Thompson hill. With loose boulders and very silty dirt it is tough to grab traction as big rocks move under you.

We got through most of Thompson Hill but as the sun set we decided to find a spot to camp on the side of the trail at Thompson Hill.

Day 3- Getting a late start
After setting up camp late 2 nights in a row we were off to a slow start the next morning. We continued the trail and finished Thompson Hill rather quickly and realizing if we had gone up the trail a 1000 feet more we would of had a much better camping spot. Oh well, it is what it is. After moving again BANG a coil spring unseated and popped out on the JK again! This time we seated it back on and used the ACOS (adjustable coil spacers) and adjusted them down (give it more lift) so the coil springs could not unseat again. He also had 2 other issues a noise coming from under him which ended up being the exhaust gently rubbing on his front driveshaftt and axle movement which came from a missing nut on his upper link. At this point I had gotten frustrated. After swapping in 1 ton axles and completely rebuilding my brothers jeep that was finished hours before leaving some of the untested things came into play like loose bolts, unseating coil springs, and shock binding. All these things did not leave his vehicle immobile but they did leave some frustrations. After getting him going again and making mental notes of the things that need attention when I get home we continued on. We got a few miles under our belts stopped for lunch at Thompson lake went swimming while my buddy Kyle had to fix his toe after cutting it bad in the lake leaving it tough to clean. After that we went a little more and called it quits early that night around 4 pm. Relaxed, had a good dinner and good time telling stories and giving each other **** for the dumb things we have done in the past. We also had a short walk to East Lake to get some of the dirt off of us.

DAY 4- **** hits the fan
Day 4 which is (day 3 on the trail) things really started to test vehicles or mental stability for some (ME :gaah:) This is when I felt the common theme most people say about the dusy hit home with me. Mental exhaustion, the constant watching out for trees and the constant slow moving with dirt roads and just enough rocks to beat up the driver and rig. As we continued all of a sudden no one is in sight. As my brother and I turn around and walk back down the trail we run into Brian who said the ZJ broke. His steering box is held in by 3 bolts and one of the mounting ears sheered off as well as bend a bolt and crack one. Being left with 1 bolt holding the box we all scurried to our tool boxes and trail stashes to find what we can jerry rig together. Luckily we found some bolts and some JB weld and JB welded the bolts back on we get a few miles and BANG bolt broke again. Added a few more bolts, but this time we didn't get far. Dead in the water we needed a plan. Plan was setup camp where we were at and use the Satellite phone to call local parts stores to get a steering box, while myself and Kyle in the Red TJ would wheel all night hit the store in the morning to get the new box and bolts. As we take off to leave we come across a group at ershim lake who had bolts! We ended up back tracking got more bolts and continued on. Being way behind schedule we wheeled though the night. This is where mental exhaustion hit me hard and was quite cranky to say the least. I almost popped out a window (glass was resting up against the tree) I got my buddy to come by winch off my rack to pull the weight off the glass. I was able to drive out. Later on in the dark I slid off a rock and got rear diff'ed so bad I got stuck. Trying to gas out of it in any direction I was bound up enough that any load put to the wheels started to tip me over. Winched out of it and continued. As we continued VERY late into the night we stopped again for camp. What a long day!!!!

Day 5- The dramatic finish!
Day 5 (day 4 on the trail) we went about 1000 feet until the bolts snapped again. We stopped and knew the group that gave us bolts had more. They eventually caught up to us and we got more bolts. They also had a ready welder and we welded the broken ear back on. It did not last since it was mig welding on cast but I will tell you that ready welder packs some serious juice! I want one!!!!

With 7 miles to go and obtaining the rest of the bolts they had we knew it would be a struggle. We went many miles until more bolts broke. At this point I had given up 2 of my steering box bolts to make it out. With my steering system being powered by a hydraulic ram it takes a TON of load off the box and the frame rail allowing me to give up two bolts. Without the ram I wouldnt have been able to do that. We ratchet strapped the box to the frame and put in my bolts. Every major obstacle we would stop and retighten the bolts and tighten the strap to make sure it lasts since this was it! The last few miles of the trail were TOUGH on that steering box. Its going down a lot of steep obstacles and if we were to run the trail again we would run it in the opposite direction, it seems more challenging!

We passed lookout point and knew we were nearing the end but every corner we passed the trail just continued! Finally we saw the sign and gate and we completed a very long slow moving 33 miles in 4 days of wheeling, swimming, camping, problem solving and wrenching!

We ended up driving down to fresno and got to a fast food place around midnight. We drove slow with the messed up steering box and a long drive from 9200 ft elevation to less then 2k. We all appreciated the warm shower that was waiting for us at my buddy's moms house.

Day 6-The end!
After getting to our buddy's moms house around 1230 AM we decided 3 should sleep in the house and 3 should sleep with the rigs since we had no doors on with plenty of tools and valuables. Luckily we had 3 sleeping hammocks that were setup between front and rear bumpers. About 4am 2 cops showed up after receiving a call on us. Sure enough after my buddy explained that we finished the dusy and our friend's moms house is right across from us and we didnt want anything stolen they realized we were causing no harm. They left so we caught some more sleep and then made our trek home!

scoreh3

I sure hope your friend from Fresno took you guys to the Dog House Grill for some great bbq after that adventure .

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Been there before but not this time around, days of no showers unless lake swimming counts and a long 5 days we were not going out lol

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Trying to cool off the ZJ after I pulled him up the grade

The start of the trail late at night

Camp after the first night

View at the top of chicken rock

The group at the top of chicken rock

My buddy's TJ

Me getting some help off my window

One of the lakes

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Me climbing an obstacle...unfortunately I got dirt in my eyes that day so contacts had to come out and glasses on [emoji85]

My brother sporting his D60

One of the many pain in the ass trees I had to go around

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Yea H2s and H1s would likely get body damage...hell I even got some. Some lines I took asked for it. I believe an H1 has gotten through this trail before but the scorpion would be much easier