• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Passlock "bypass"

08H3

I found this out by chance about a month ago, but delayed posting it to see if I actually found something or just got lucky. The Passlock issue that locks you out due to a worn ignition cylinder. By pure chance, I found that if you FULLY rotate the key counter clockwise before starting, it will keep the Passlock issue at bay. Obviously, this isn't a fix. Your parts are still worn, but it will keep you from being stranded until it resets.

So far, this has been 100% effective. Hope this keeps someone from looking like a raving lunatic sitting in their Hummer for 10 minutes in the parking lot some day.

K0PIR

As my dad used to say, you need to hold your mouth right. It'll start every time.

No really, just fix it or have it bypassed with a PCM tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I plan on replacing the ignition housing at some point. Passlock acted up about 20 months ago for several weeks and has only failed one time since then. I have a replacement part waiting to go in at some point. I don't mind having this security system set up in my H3

sonicstage

So can anyone tell me how or where to get a pcm tune? My hummer is having this problem more frequently and I need to fix it I googled Pcm tune but I would rather see if I could get a recommendation from this site...thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
It's about two minutes to disconnect the connectors on the PCM (and TCM, if necessary) to send it in to pcmofnc. And two minutes to put them back in. To actually put in a tune on the I5, you need experts like pcmofnc or someone that really knows HP tuners, and your vehicle, well.

sonicstage

Ok thanks so I can take the pcm and Tcm out on my own send it into pcmofnc and they can send me a new one then I can install that one without any problems?

4speedfunk

I highly recommend waiting for your original chips to return, rather than exchanging them. It only takes 3-days. My chips have been to PCMofNC several times. My name is written on them with a sharpie so I know I'm getting the same ones back. I've always had great service, and never any problems.

I do know one guy that has had strange electrical issues since doing the PCMofNC exchange. Not sure if the issue is the PCM or not...but, I am sure that the problem did not appear until he swapped chips...and I'm also sure that he did the exchange option (rather than waiting for his chips to be returned). All I'm suggesting is that you keep your original chips if possible. Who knows what sort of chip you might be getting back? Overheated? Flooded? Ultra-high mileage? Struck by lightening? The possibilities are limitless. If your truck runs good with the original chips, then keep them....its just one less possible gremlin to deal with.

Years later and this guy still has issues...intermittent and ongoing. His original 40K mile chips are long gone (probably sent out to someone in the swap program). The actual cause remains unknown.

sonicstage

Ok thanks so I should order the chips and then once I get the new ones swap them out with the old? I have to do this on my own because I'm tight on money so I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly

Thank you

650Hawk

Ok thanks so I should order the chips and then once I get the new ones swap them out with the old? I have to do this on my own because I'm tight on money so I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly

Thank you

No. What Speed is saying is to send your chip in, wait for it to be programmed and sent back, then re-install YOUR re-programmed chip.

4speedfunk

Exactly.

Park your truck.
Disconnect the battery.
Pull your chips.
Mail em in with your list of mods.
Wait 3-days.
Stick em back in.
Reconnect the battery.
Find a mudhole!

sonicstage

Oh I get it now sorry guys I'm new at this short on funds and need to be resourceful this is a huge help thank you all

sonicstage

Thanks everyone it definitely helps me understand what I have and now that I've been on this forum I'm super excited to be an owner of a hummer

rsc

We were all new at this ourselves once. Glad you got the info you needed correctly before running off with good intentions and bad plans. Welcome aboard!

gfbh3t

KEEP your original!! Do not swap for someone else's. Took 4 years and countless hours by me and others to try to figure out my problem. It would go into limp mode with no codes or lights on dash. Finally spent 900 dollars on new ECM and TCM from dealer has not stalled since.