• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

My new 2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon

LagunaH1

Hi guys,

-Thought I'd post a few pics of my new truck and the few mods I've done so far.

The night I got it, it looked like this, sitting in the dealer's lot:

Well, those flame decals were bothering me so they had to go. Peeled them off yesterday and got the remaining adhesive removed today.

This is how the truck looks as of now:

Next up on the mod list:

• Rhino line the bed
  • Rear rack
  • Tool box

Then, on to radios:
  • Aux battery w. isolator
  • Relocate radio body of the Kenwood TM-D710G
  • Install a Motorola XPR 5550 DMR radio
  • Install my ICOM IC7000 mobile HF radio
  • Install antenna tuner
  • Install mount point for HF antenna

LagunaH1

I haven't towed anything yet so I don't *REALLY* know, but it's rated at just below 10000 pounds. Compared to the regular 2500 6.4 that's a bit less, I'm told it's due to the more compliant off-road suspension. I would imagine that this decreased towing capacity might also mean that it tows quite well, because it's got the same power train as the regular 2500 6.4 which is rated at around 12000 pounds I think.

LagunaH1

Time for an update:

Installed a tool box and got the bed Rhino Lined by Rhino Liner of Orange County. They did good work and were super helpful.

Inside the toolbox lives my 100 Amp-Hour battery which drives my radios. The battery is isolated from the rest of the truck using a West Mountain Radio PwrGate PG40s. This is a pretty neat device which only connects the battery to it's charging source (which in my setup is the trucks main battery) when the incoming voltage is high enough, which it only is when the alternator is running. The PG40S also limits the amount of charge current provided to the battery, in my setup I have set it for 10 amps. This limits the current draw on the trucks electrical system (good thing) and it prevents overcharging the battery (also a good thing)

The connection between main and aux batteries is 2 gauge cable to prevent voltage drop.

The battery is held down to the hardwood base plate using a ratchet strap. The base plate is in turn bolted to the tool box floor.

Here's how the truck sits as of today:

Next up on the list:

ARB air compressor to air tires up.
Rocker panel protection
Install HF HAM radio (just need to figure out where to put it......)