• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Suppressed 300 blk SBR: DI or Piston?

High Five H2

I'm thinking about getting a suppressed SBR in 300 blackout/whisper for home defense/CQB. I'm probably going to get a 9" barrel, since that's what 300 blk is designed for. I'm not going to hunt or do any long distance shooting with it. I want to get one with a piston system, but I've heard they don't work so well with 300 blk. I can't find anything definitive, though. Here's what I'm looking at:

http://primaryweapons.com/store/mk1-mod-2/

I talked to someone there, and he said they would have them in 300 blk sometime late summer. Any other companies I should be looking at? Recommendations for sights? EOTech is my first choice, but my mind isn't made up. Better length for barrel?
This will be my first AR. I already have 2 CZ hunting rifles, a UHR and a .308 varmint (I think), a CZ-SP-01 (I'm a fan boy, shut up), a remington 870 tactical express, winchester 94/22, and my carry gun, and a Springfield XD9 subcompact.

Shrubf4

For the sight, I usually suggest Aimpoints. The battery is better and it makes for a lighter overall package.

Since it's your first AR, I'd say go DI. It would be a better intro to AR's than a piston gun would be, my opinion of course.

Big2dabank

I would say to go DI and not piston also simply because most people care for their rifles like their first born and the risk from a malfunction because of the build up caused by the hot dirty gases that are sent into the bolt carrier by the DI system are not bad enough with regular civilian use and cleaning. My opinion as well.

Windham SRC
Armalite AR-10
Remington Model 700 .308
Savage Youth 7mm-08 (my son's)

High Five H2

thanks for the input, I'll check out those aimpoint sights.

How do you like your AR-10, big? that's next on my list and the Armaliate SASS is the one I'm considering.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
If your going suppressed for sure go piston with adjustable gas block. If not go DI since it's much easier to maintain and clean.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Suppressors throw all that crap back into the chamber. That's why a piston is a better idea. If you can, get an OSS suppressor. They are a "pass through" system and not a baffle system. This keeps everything much cooler and also helps staying clean. They're modular so you can shorten or lengthen them according to need. It also has an incorporated flash suppressor.

Last edited:

Big2dabank

thanks for the input, I'll check out those aimpoint sights.

How do you like your AR-10, big? that's next on my list and the Armaliate SASS is the one I'm considering.

She is a hand me down from my dad and needs some love. Had several double feeds and FTEs the last time I shot her. She's an old girl that was put through a lot of hell shooting hogs in the swamp, so one of these days, I'll give her a full tear down and rebuild to bring her back to life. Actually just waiting on my son to get a little older so he can be a part of the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Five H2

Suppressors throw all that crap back into the chamber. That's why a piston is a better idea. If you can, get an OSS suppressor. They are a "pass through" system and not a baffle system. This keeps everything much cooler and also helps staying clean. They're modular so you can shorten or lengthen them according to need. It also has an incorporated flash suppressor.
thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

scoreh3

Do not use the EOTech ! The government and law enforcement are pulling off all of their EOTechs and EOTech is doing a full refund on 10's if not 100's thousands sights due to they drift off center at both high and low temps . I was going to get one until I learned about the world wide recall . I shot AR's with EOTech and LOVED them , l'm bummed .

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you loved the Eotech why are you bummed? I have several and have had no issues. I built a 300 Blackout on a S&W lower. Not suppressed but I am getting a suppressor for it.

High Five H2

I just looked at the eotech lawsuit, that's pretty messed up. I definitely won't be buying one now. I hope no troops got killed because of that.

Scarsman

Sponsor
Actually, if you read what the temperature extremes are that cause the drift, you'll see that unless you are HALO jumping into Iraq in the middle of the summer, or leaving arctic Alaska in the dead of winter and landing in a 120* desert hours later, you'll never see it happen. They work just fine for 99.999999% of users.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mantracker

My first AR build was my SBR in 300 Blackout shortly after it was developed, and publicized. I stuck with direct impingement system and I chose Noveski for their barrel (8.5") and knowledge of the 300 blkout cartridge. I used YHM for the lower receiver, VLTOR CASV-M front stock with folding front sight. The rear sight is ARMS polymer folder. Also an Aimpoint micro T1. The rear stock is LWRC ultra compact with the shorter buffer tube. And the suppressor YHM light tactical .30.
I load my own ammo, as well.
100 yard shots at coyotes......No problem. AND no malfunctions.

High Five H2

It sounds like CZ is going to be making a civilian version of the 806 Bren 2. I'm a huge CZ fan, so I may pick one up. The 806 improves on the 805 Bren in a few ways. CZ also makes it in 300 blackout and makes it easy to do an SBR.

Somethingbigandorange

Seems I will be in the minority - piston.

Direct impingement is a better introduction to the AR platform - sure is. But is that the overriding concern with this build? Or its intended use?

Direct impingement is easier to clean - considering that if I let it go too far I could simply take a while wheel to my piston to get the crud off, I am going to politely disagree with this one. (And no, I am not that bad, just saying sometimes we let things slip). A suppressed direct impingement would accumulate some nasty fowling fairly quickly. Do you want to bet your life, safety, and well-being (this IS intended for home defense) on whether or not you remembered/had time to clean it every single use?

Piston is louder - it may well be, however I am going on the assumption that suppression is for the home defense/CQ scenario. The sound is not to be hidden, so much as to be minimized to avoid hearing damage in such scenarios. This, then, becomes a non-issue.

Granted, direct impingement tends to be more accurate, but once again consider the setting. DI is more reliable and hardy, except in extreme sustained fire...you don't live in Aleppo, do you? And altering the function of the platform may render it undesirable to anyone but the initial user (resale). So take my advice with a grain of salt. Either way, enjoy the process and shoot the $h!t out of that thing when you're done.

Oh, and please post pics.

Big2dabank

Spikes would be a no brainer for me if I was in the market again, they are down the street in Apopka and I know several friends who are superbly happy with them.