• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Quick disconnect tow rings

JPaul

So I just had a thought, and wondered what others thought of this, but it seems like it'd be pretty simple to convert our tow rings to be quick-disconnect-able so that you can hook straps up to them without needing another chunk of metal (shackle).

It seems all you'd have to do is remove the nuts off the bolts and drill the bolts to accept a pin, and then just use a pin to hold the bolts in place. It's not like you're pulling on the bolt that it'd need a nut to keep it in place, the D-rings fit pretty snugly with the rest of the assembly so side-to-side motion isn't a concern, all the pin would need to do really is keep the bolt from just falling out while driving around and whatnot. Biggest concern I can think of it'd make it easy for someone to steal the D-rings, but you could just chuck them in your recovery gear bag when you're not on the trail.

So, any other ideas as to why this isn't a good idea? I honestly can't think of ever seeing this done before.

Last edited:

rsc

I use them as an opportunity for explaining to the local Jeep guys why they should go out and buy real recovery gear instead of chains or looping a sling around a tow hook. They don't have great recovery points and can't seem to understand that we do.

JPaul

Don't see the need when a shackle takes 30 seconds to put on

As I mentioned already, because then you're not adding another failure point and chunk of metal to the mix. Sure, you can use a shackle to hook to the D-rings, but now you've just added another point of possible failure, and the shackle weighs at least a pound. And if you have modified the bolts to use pins instead of nuts, it takes even less time to unhook the D-ring, slip the strap on, and then put it back on.

rascole

So, any ideas as to why this isn't a good idea? I honestly can't think of ever seeing this done before.
You asked.

OR throw these in you gear bag and save even more time.
attachment.php

Attachments

• dring.JPG
    dring.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 404

JPaul

Apparently I should have said any OTHER ideas why, though I think people would still simply re-iterate points I have already made. :roll:

And I think you're missing the point, why should I pay another $30 a piece for something that is the same or potentially worse that what I am thinking of? Those D-rings I have looked at before, and disregarded them because of the potential for shearing that cotter pin when you use them on something thinner than the width between the knuckles.

CaseyS

Under the nut is a wavy washer to add some tension to the bolt to keep the ring from flipping around. With a pin they would be loose and maybe want to flop when you hit a bump. I know on my truck they would likely rattle like crazy.

I have a pin on my tow hitch and no one has stolen that yet. Who would want a d ring?

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I think we carry d-rings to have another point of attachment to something else. U have to carry at least 2. I usually have 4 in my bag and 2 on truck.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
As Casey mentioned, they'd flop around under your proposal or you'd have to take them off each time after use. Possible and you'd just have to evaluate if the tradeoffs are better for you. I don't see any reason it can't be done.

To Mb30's point, you'd likely still be carrying traditional d-rings anyway as well.

JPaul

I thought about that washer, but the fit is honestly pretty snug already, I don't think it'd make that much noise, but it is to be seen.

I already have some other D-rings I carry with me, this would just be to eliminate the need to use another chunk of metal at the recovery points on the H3 itself. It just seems silly to me to have the D-rings on there and still have to use another one to hook up to it.

4speedfunk

I like the idea. A quick-release pin for the stock d-rings would give you a cleaner look on the street. I would turn them in a lathe, add a taper on one end, and then mill some flats on the other end,. Drill a hole and use 1/8" clevis pins. Sure they might rattle but you would only install them for extractions.
Never loop a strap thru itself....it usually gets so tight that it's a huge ordeal to get it undone.

JPaul

I don't have a lathe, but will probably use a grinder to add a little more chamfer to the end, then drill a hole for the pin and probably another hole in the bolt head such that I can attach a cable to retain the pin so that I don't lose it when mucking about hooking up.

As for rattles, right now I have enough stuff in the back banging about that I wouldn't notice it, but yeah, I'll probably leave them stowed in the back so that no one decides to get sticky fingers.

650Hawk

I thought about doing that (the quick release thing), something similar to a hitch pin. Heck, you could even use a locking hitch pin, if you could find one long enough. I do carry a shackle/D-ring, but mainly for the "other" vehicle.

Instead, I decided to carry simple wrenches to remove/reinstall the tow hook. I found a large open/box wrench at the swap meet (I think it's 19/32"?) for a couple bucks, and then cut in in half, giving me two short wrenches. Added a short piece of rubber hose on each (as a nice handle). They are short and easy to stow, but are still long enough to have the necessary leverage to remove/reinstall the bolt on the stock tow hook. They are stowed in the same bag with my tow strap, D-ring, and folding shovel (second bag holds my Viair compressor, deflators, tire gauge, plug kit).

Last edited: