• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2016 - Moab Black Sheep Week, March 27-April 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Time to submit those PTO requests!

Our springtime Black Sheep Hummer Week is right around the corner! As usual, we'll start as Easter Jeep Safari ends on Easter Sunday. Most wheeling starts on Monday the 28th, with most attendees arriving on Sunday the 27th. Arrive and depart as it fits in your schedule.

A variety of lodging options are available in Moab, including commercial campgrounds, rough camping, hotels (Motel 6 often has the best rates). Also lots of camping at the Outpost - please check with Neo. Days begin and end at the Outpost. If this is your first time, please send Neo or me a PM and we'll send you the address. All vehicles are welcome - Hummers, Jeeps, Rovers, Scorpions, RZRs, etc.

Also, all newbie questions are welcome here in the thread, please don't hesitate to ask.

Attendee List

Last year's list is below. I will start cleaning up as we get confirmations. Italics is unconfirmed

# in PartyAttendeesVehicleLodgingConfirmed?Arrival/Departure DatesHAM call signState
1NeoHMC2OutpostYPermanentUT
1F5MoabSilveradoCampingYSun-ThursID
23HummersScorpionMotel 6YKJ6JCCTX/CA
1JR3TH3TOutpostYSat-?CA
1AlrockH3CondoYSun-SatAZ
1ReloaderH3ACondoYSun-SatAZ
15WienersXJCondoYSun-SatAZ
2BigunitH3TCondoYSun-?AZ
2Preferred ChassisScorpionYSun-?AZ
2Silverton34JKYIA
2HighatopH3Lazy LizardYSun-SatCO
1ajk150DiscoOutpostYMon-SunCO
2.5backcountryJKOutpostNCO
1TimgcoBeaterOutpostYEJS-MonCO
1OltorfH3OutpostYSat-?TX
1JasonTJCondoYSun - ?AZ
1JpaulH3YSun-TuesTX
1DesertH3H3OutpostYTues-FriUT
1H32NVH3OutpostYSat-MonCO
1persius1H3OutpostYSun-Wed/Thurs

Steel%20Bender%20041015.04-001-L.jpg
Steel%20Bender%20041015.02-L.jpg

Seven%20Mile%20040715.24-L.jpg

Seven%20Mile%20040715.25-001-L.jpg

Seven%20Mile%20040715.26-L.jpg

Last edited:

Woodtick

We plan to go. Not sure what hotel yet. H3 windshield already broken, and the gas tank pushed in. I think the H3 is ready.

High Five H2

well, let's see here, I got my wheels in the mail today and some tires to put on them and all my repairs are done.... I think I'm in!!!! I have no excuses to not go (yet)

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Well it's been a while since squeaky went. The last Moab trip I wasn't even V8 swapped or SASed....

I'm a maybe because I might have a new job lined up after New Years so I will know more in a few weeks.

I'll let my brother know, I know he wants to go back.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well it's been a while since squeaky went. The last Moab trip I wasn't even V8 swapped or SASed....
Chris, I just found this semi-old video. Listen to the early comments by you about Squeaky.
[video=youtube_share;8yZNXrksU5U]https://youtu.be/8yZNXrksU5U[/video]

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
...the few comments up to the point that you told him to "shut up"? [emoji10] [emoji12]
LMAO! I remember that day. Great times, great memories.

Woodtick

Things I need to get for Moab. More UCP, better air compressor,a few spare parts,and a handheld cb. I have a 06 adventure on 33" IROCs. In the Midwest we use two way radios and cell phones. Any suggestions on the handheld cb?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Things I need to get for Moab. More UCP, better air compressor,a few spare parts,and a handheld cb. I have a 06 adventure on 33" IROCs. In the Midwest we use two way radios and cell phones. Any suggestions on the handheld cb?
Air compressor - you might only use it once during the week, right before you leave. A lot of us stay aired down all week.
Handheld CB - if you want, you can borrow mine. I have one permanently mounted and use it when I'm not telling Chris to be quiet. Midland-75-822 http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-82...39864&sr=8-1&keywords=midland+cb+radio+75-822
Spare parts - you don't need much. CV axle, tie rod ends and that's about it unless you know something else is on its way out.

What do you have for UCP? Have you upgraded the diff crossmember and the steering rack bracket?

RamRod

One of these years I will make the trip down, I just bought a house.... Spending half a mill when you aren't a millionaire will take away from vacation funds [emoji13]

The good news is that the house is only 19 hours and 30min away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Woodtick

My front end is 100% original but still tight. It's never been aligned and doesn't need it. I will be bringing some front end parts though. My 15 year old compressor just died,so I need one anyway. Thanks for the cb offer,but having one on the way out and back,could come in handy. I'm just glad the wife wants to go out there. She doesn't want to go snowmobiling for spring break and I don't want to go to Florida again. Seems like a great compromise.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Whether you go PCF or elsewhere, two of the most common breaks or issues are that diff mount and the steering, both of which are addressed with the available upgrades. I've torn out an OEM crossmember in one off road trip, and watch racks break on their inaugural trip as well. Preventative work will go a long way.

Sounds like this compromise was a major win!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I'd rather be told to be quiet over the CB in Moab then to be quiet at work :D I really hope I can make it, with squeaky as well.

I can't believe that video was 4 1/2 years ago...time flies!!

Woodtick

The truck has 89k on it and may get another 3k on it before this trip. ( depends on how many times I go to church) All fluids will be changed, and anything questionable will be changed. I think I will do the PCF up grades. They are cheap and a ware item anyway.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of us have stayed at Motel 6 through the years. We used to stay at LaQuinta but they jacked their prices way up so we don't stay their any longer.

Woodtick

The six year old would enjoy the Pool more than a Veiw. We do the cabin thing all the time and we plan on being out and about all day. The Hotel 6 makes more sense I think.

lugantom

Bummer! That's Easter weekend; gotta be home the 24th through the 27th, and it's a 1.5 to 2 day drive from where I am in Illinois.

But thanks for posting this stuff! I am hoping to do the National Park Circle Tour with a high school buddy this spring or summer; want to camp at Toroweap.

Would I be wise to practice swapping my half shafts in the comfort of my garage, or is it unwise to unnecessarily mess with the steering and suspension components?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodtick

Just booked Motel 6 Sat night through Thurs night. Just a FYI, it averaged $136 a night. Sat, Sun,and Thurs being the high rates. The stars are lining up.

Status
Not open for further replies.