• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

NR4 t case r and r

Mac372

Probationary Member
I have a 2008 h3 inline 5 auto trans base model NR4 t case was wondering on the procedure on the r and r or how much it would cost at a typical shop. I already know a used t case would cost me about 900-2100 depending on miles i dont want to invest over 3750 into it, i love it but i dont have the money to invest over that into it and was wondering the man hours on the r and r or the procedure to do it myself. Thanks in advance everyone.

woodwardsh3

If you have a average maniacal skills and a few friends and a manual I think it is doable. and you could find a video on the form or youtube. The big expense is the labor of taking it out and putting it back, you could check if a shop would do a bench job that is where you take it out and they rebuild it and you put it back in,

Mac372

Probationary Member
Yeah well cant do a rebuild on this bad boy haha the case around the output shaft to the rear end quite literally exploded out and no fixing it already had my local mechanic(me incidently lol and a family friend) im not good with driveline stuff im more electrical and powerplant but yeah no saving and i have to replace it which is why i was asking anyone about the r and r procedures or roughly how many man hours it would take for something like that

CaseyS

How do you plan to R and R the unit if it has a busted case? You will have more luck finding a complete unit than you will just a case. Also if the case busted, you likely have at least a few other internal parts damaged.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Others have priced upgrading a stock case to 4:1 and found the parts were the same price as buying a new case.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

chaos254

How do you plan to R and R the unit if it has a busted case? You will have more luck finding a complete unit than you will just a case. Also if the case busted, you likely have at least a few other internal parts damaged.
R&R is remove and replace

chaos254

Yeah well cant do a rebuild on this bad boy haha the case around the output shaft to the rear end quite literally exploded out and no fixing it already had my local mechanic(me incidently lol and a family friend) im not good with driveline stuff im more electrical and powerplant but yeah no saving and i have to replace it which is why i was asking anyone about the r and r procedures or roughly how many man hours it would take for something like that
All data shows 1.8hours when swapping the unit.

4speedfunk

It's cake. Do it yourself. Pull the driveshaft...remove the encoder...unplug the wiring...pop off the five attachment nuts...pull it off the tailshaft. Then twist it 90 degrees and lower it down onto your chest.
Clean the old gasket off...pop on a new one...bench press the new case up...twist 90 degrees (stain your underware)...and shove it onto the five mounting studs. Reassemble everything...fill with fluid...go tear it up!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
You make it sound so easy! It sorta is, but we needed to loosen the transmission crossmember, dropping it about an inch, to get the t-case out. And it's a heavy piece, so that wrangling isn't fun.

You may also want a stubby wrench to get to that top bolt.

4speedfunk

I leave the tranny crossmember in place when I do it. You'll never get it down without pulling the encoder though...(3) 10mm bolts. Trust me. Go ahead and pull the encoder because once you have the thing half-way...you won't want to stop.

Also...make sure you drain it first.