• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Swapping an AutoMatic Trani for a Manuel.

Hawkeye__8

This is something I've wanted to do for a while now, but I'm going to wait until the current one goes. Does anyone have experience or know anyone that has done this yet? What are your guys' opinions on this.

2007 H3 3.7L.

Also, every once in a while the engine light comes up with a code showing TCC failure, the most recent one happening last week. I replaced the solenoid back in January when it was throwing out the same code so I don't know what thats all about.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I've been dying to this too for some time. Unfortunately our trucks are so electronically dependent and won't be an easy task. :(

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

SuperBuickGuy

I'm not sure why you think it's terribly hard. You can change the program in the computer with HPTuners, all the mechanical stuff was built by GM so is available. Of course, if you put a NV4500 or NV5600 in, there could be fitment issues. Also included in the issues would be transfer case. I have a manual transfer case for the non-adventure package Colorado/Canyon/H3 - and it's completely different then the H3 Adventure transfer case. To the point that it won't bolt up to an automatic transmission.

That said, if you can live without the 4:1 ratio, I do have a transfer case.... I used the transmission in my FJ40.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Fitting is not that complicated. I looked into an NV4500 with an Atlas. The hard part is that the computers go crazy when they don't find their auto tranny and transfer case. I'm sure it's possible but nobody has done it, so where do you start.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

CaseyS

The solution for the computer not finding the transmission is for it not to find the engine either.

For the record, with engine and transmission both detached from the ECU, the transfer case still works fine.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Manual trans swaps have been done many times in the Colorado...so someone can do the programming on it and make it work, the guy who did my programming and harness for the v8 swap said I could have gone to a manual...t case just needs a VSS sensor

4speedfunk

I've swapped numerous H3 transfer cases. Both stick and auto use the same 5-bolt flange. And both AP and non-AP cases are the same externally. This includes Alphas (although the case is slightly different for exhaust routing). Any H3 t-case will fit any H3. But the H3 t-case remains special to Hummers and the C/C uses a different one.
Assuming you are using factory parts, swapping AT to stick should not be a big deal. But going the other way might, due to the HAL-2000.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Don't overlook the AR5 that came in the H3s. I have put mine through some rough driving and it is holding up great. I know several people that are pushing over 450HP through them with no issues. Would be an easy bolt-in.

amrg

3.75 is a good first gear reduction for that trans! But 450 hp on a truck and that trans?

Mr_Rich

I think I've posted this site before: http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm

There is a ton of helpful info there. Craig mentioned that the trans in our trucks is an AR5, but it is also known as the AX15 and Novak supplies adapters for V8/ V6 manual conversions per the site info.

I think being in Az you would probably face many less restrictions than we do here in Cal. It's fun to think about the possibilities...

Ryan212

Why would it be a hard swap if the h3 came factory with a manual?

I would assume you could program.all.of the modules with the manual version

Ryan

SuperBuickGuy

Good point. Application would affect it. IF I recall, it is rated for up to 260 ft·lb torque. Still plenty left over for an inline 5!

I'll never understand how they come up with the torque ratings. I had a Super T-10 in my Corvette. The rating on a Super t-10? not even 300 ft lb. I can assure that there was never a day that transmission had less than 500 lbs in front of it, and when it was behind a 455 it had a bunch more then that - with slicks - nary a problem.... as I said, I've no idea where they come up with that.

With that said, the AR-5 is what I put in my FJ40 - and you all should know by now that I don't hide when something doesn't work as expected. And with that said, I've learned that GM stuff can handle 3x more then what it came in. For example, I ran a 350 with a B&M blower, then turbos. I started at 310 hp, and worked my way up to 750 hp. 700 was fine... 750, not so much (stock was 200)... that loose-fast-rule really does work... that said, I'm not sure I'd place any bets on ones that are at the ragged edge.

Hawkeye__8

I know that some 2007 H3's came with an optional manual transmission from the factory if ordered. Would I be able to get my hands on a colorado 5-speed trani and make it work? Im pretty sure that they used the same thing. Then, would I have problems with the T-case and would I still have to reprogram the computer?

cbetts

NERD!!!
I'll never understand how they come up with the torque ratings. I had a Super T-10 in my Corvette. The rating on a Super t-10? not even 300 ft lb. I can assure that there was never a day that transmission had less than 500 lbs in front of it, and when it was behind a 455 it had a bunch more then that - with slicks - nary a problem.... as I said, I've no idea where they come up with that.

With that said, the AR-5 is what I put in my FJ40 - and you all should know by now that I don't hide when something doesn't work as expected. And with that said, I've learned that GM stuff can handle 3x more then what it came in. For example, I ran a 350 with a B&M blower, then turbos. I started at 310 hp, and worked my way up to 750 hp. 700 was fine... 750, not so much (stock was 200)... that loose-fast-rule really does work... that said, I'm not sure I'd place any bets on ones that are at the ragged edge.

Yep. Too bad the AR5 is not a GM product. It is from Aisin.

I know that some 2007 H3's came with an optional manual transmission from the factory if ordered. Would I be able to get my hands on a colorado 5-speed trani and make it work? Im pretty sure that they used the same thing. Then, would I have problems with the T-case and would I still have to reprogram the computer?

The only thing that is jumping out at me is Stabilitrack. Not sure that can be programmed to be off. Maybe our sponsor at PCM of NC can answer that question.

4speedfunk

I don't think stabilitrac has anything to do with the trans....stick or AT. I also don't understand how swapping from AT to stick would have any bearing on a state vehicle inspection. I say this because the H3 came factory in both versions....so if a light comes on, then just find the issue and kill it. There should be no experimentation. My 08 has separate ECM and TCM and I wander if it's just as simple as pulling the TCM out and bolting up a stick shift? Do stickshift H3's have some sort of dummy TCM that plugs in to the tranny slot?

Ryan212

The stick 2008+ likely do not have a tcm and a different wiring harness. The 2006-7 use a p12 that can be used for both auto and manual without a seperate t42 tcm module

Ryan

cbetts

NERD!!!
I don't think stabilitrac has anything to do with the trans....stick or AT. I also don't understand how swapping from AT to stick would have any bearing on a state vehicle inspection. I say this because the H3 came factory in both versions....so if a light comes on, then just find the issue and kill it. There should be no experimentation. My 08 has separate ECM and TCM and I wander if it's just as simple as pulling the TCM out and bolting up a stick shift? Do stickshift H3's have some sort of dummy TCM that plugs in to the tranny slot?

Mine has a harness on it for something. I suspect it was mainly for the backup lights and the upshift sensor (that stupid light on the dash that tells you what shift points are "optimal").

Stabilitrack has a lot to do with the transmission type. It controls the throttle in traction control situations. Now if it gives more throttle during a shift (clutch disengaged) well, that could be bad. Hence, no Stabilitrack on manual models.

In the past, I have done two auto-to-manual conversions in California. Got dinged initially on both. One I got away with on a '79 Pontiac Sunbird because it was originally from Nevada and already had a waiver. The other was an early model S-10. We ended up making it off-road only. This attitude is different in California now. As long as the VIN in the computer matches the vehicle and the computer is showing no codes, you should be good. Oh, you need to pass the initial visual inspection. I got dinged last time for my Air-Doc.

Did I mention I hate Commiefornia sometimes . . .

Panzer07

^i can relate, hopefully I am able to relocate in the next couple of years. Just need to learn about the other 49 states and see which one fits my needs better, lay back gun laws, not too hot, plenty of water and wild life, veteran benefits, not crazy taxes or stupid laws. Lol

Torres

4speedfunk

Indiana just passed the greatest law ever....dubbed THE SLOWPOKE LAW. Finally the dip****s that like to get in the fast lane and do 55 can get a ticket. I've been sayin it for 30 years...."if you're not passing someone, get out of the left lane"! Seriously...at times I wish I had 30 cal.'s behind the headlights.
Of course many people are totally pissed off about this new law. If you're one of them then....
Jus sayin.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
^i can relate, hopefully I am able to relocate in the next couple of years. Just need to learn about the other 49 states and see which one fits my needs better, lay back gun laws, not too hot, plenty of water and wild life, veteran benefits, not crazy taxes or stupid laws. Lol

Torres

North Carolina fits most of those. There may be better ones in the Midwest but I'm not familiar with them.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"