• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Gold Mountain 8/15/15

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I wasn't going to do a trail report because we already have a ton of pictures on the existing thread but Zach texted me wondering where it was so I figured we could repost/transfer the pics here.

We started off the day at the big bear discovery center at 930. After meeting everyone and catching up with friends we had a little pre trail meeting, talked about the line up of where to place everyones rigs and then as we were rolling some took the tour around the discovery center parking lot 2 times while some just went for the exit. :no: :wink:

We had 1 H1 1 H2 5 H3s 1 H3T and 2 TJs, we got to the trailhead and aired down. At that point we hit the trail, while I found no existing threads stating a run on the 15th the trail was packed. There was a 4x4 clinic that held a TON of people, another big group, a few smaller groups and then a local group running the trail backwards. As we get up to the first obstacle, the ledge, there was a huge group of people, maybe 20-25 people. The 4x4 clinic was out teaching newbies on this obstacle. Their trail leader told us to pass so we put on a little show. Some of us heard the typical comments of Hummers suck, they cant wheel etc. but after every single one of us walked up the ledge quickly and without issue they changed there opinions after the 4th or 5th Hummer.

Heres a little video of myself on the right side of the ledge.

[video=youtube;RUlaezvk2hs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUlaezvk2hs[/video]

and my buddy on the right side as well

We then hit the 2nd obstacle and again we all did it without issue, unfortunately Zach got 2 dents here as he was a tad left and hit a tree, then backed up and hit another tree but with realigning him we got him up. I believe the T may have gotten a nice scratch here as well. When you first look at it your mind tells you stay left but hanging right then swinging back left will get you through without touching the tree.

We continued on at a good pace and then as we started to get to the talus garden 1dirtyH3 sliced a sidewall on his goodyear duratrac. Dont get too upset, Ive sliced 5 of them! At that point we had most of the rigs across the talus garden and the other few rigs were still at the start. i ran back across the talus garden and told everyone about the damage and it was a good time to start lunch. LagunaH1, Reloader and Alrock were by the start of the garden and helped DirtyH3 swap his tire. After they finished they came across the garden and joined the rest of us for lunch.

Heres Alrock and LagunaH1 coming across the Talus Garden

After lunch the blue TJ wouldnt start. Luckily Reloader was with us. I did some troubleshooting on the engine swap and vaguely remember "jumping relays" to get things to work or run but would have had no idea how to do it months later. Reloader got to work and got the jeep started after checking a few things. Luckily HummerH3linex had some wire in his trail bag and Reloader used it to as a jumper wire to jump 2 relays and get him up and running. I definitely learned a lot and will keep that stored in my brain for future use. Props to reloader for saving the day there!

So we continued on the trail and on one of the last obstacles DirtyH3 hit a rock pretty hard and after we all got through someone said over the CB that they saw fresh fluid. So after some inspection his steering rack snapped in half. We topped off the fluid and continued on to a flat spot for all of us to park and be off the major part of the trail. The concern was the PS pump seizing up from going dry. 2 1/2 years ago reloader had cracked a steering rack in moab and luckily Dwaine and reloader fixed it with a jumper hose but it kept popping off so fast forward back to today Reloader had improved the trail spare by taking old steering lines, flaring them running hose over it and then running fuel injection clamps on em. I recommend this trail spare to everyone! If you have an old rack or broken rack and dont have the means to do this, send me your lines, since I saw how reloader did his I can set em up for you for free. Its simple, cheap and can save the day. So after the jumper lines were installed you can now top off the fluid and the power steering fluid wont leak and it will keep the pump happy. We then got off the trail and DirtyH3 could drive without power steering. So with all the help reloader has provided we question if Luis and Alex paid him to move to AZ? Maybe he can teach Luis to swap those 35s over a little bit quicker :wink:

We finished the day off at a local big bear restaurant with some steaks and burgers.

Overall it was a great day! It seemed like a mini moab reunion with Zach, LagunaH1, Alrock and Reloader in from AZ and 3hummers and it was great to meet/see everyone else. Cant wait for the next run.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Excellent trail report and great job leading the group. We had issues but, you handled them awesome. Many props! And great to see everyone

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thanks guys. Had a great day...back to work and it will be 100+ over here -___- wish I could be on the trails where it's a bit cooler

SoCalH3

Sounds like a great time and makes me even more determined to make the next one and meet everyone! Will definitely stick that trail fix in my bag of tricks! Thanks for the details on that.

Brian

1DIRTYH3

Thank you Chris for putting this outing on. It was very cool to see what a Hummer can do. The group at H4O is amazing, couldn't help but tell family and friends how much support and camaraderie there is. FYI it looks like I am getting off easy and all repairs will be covered by warranty including tire. That was a ray of sunshine this morning:woot:
PS- the service department was very impressed with your bypass, Steve. hehe. will have that sent back to you shortly.