• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Where to mount switch panel?

IISPEEDYII

Got a 6 switch, switch panel and Im working out where I should mount it. My ideas were either in the daystar dash panel and drilling through the dash to run wires or in the coin holder behind the shift knob but I don't know how to begin removing the console to run the wires so if anyone has a write up on that I'd greatly appreciate it haha. What do you guys think would be a better option?

derian06

Red Rockett
Got a 6 switch, switch panel and Im working out where I should mount it. My ideas were either in the daystar dash panel and drilling through the dash to run wires or in the coin holder behind the shift knob but I don't know how to begin removing the console to run the wires so if anyone has a write up on that I'd greatly appreciate it haha. What do you guys think would be a better option?

I'm actually doing the exact same thing today, I think i'm going to be cutting a hole in the dash panel and run the wires like that.

Last edited:

SedonaBound

I'm planning to add some lights and have been thinking about this too. I won't cut holes in the dash or console. I like the Daystar tray option. Also looking into a-Pillar switch mounts.

derian06

Red Rockett
By the shift knob. Or through the day star?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Through the day star panel and the dash under the panel. So the switches will lay flat in the panel. Then if I ever need to cover the hole just buy a new daystar panel.

adventr

Here in about a week, I'll have a switch panel available for the area in front of gear shifter.
However, there's only room for 4 switches there..

derian06

Red Rockett
Here in about a week, I'll have a switch panel available for the area in front of gear shifter.
However, there's only room for 4 switches there..

I'll probably end up needing those too, what someone should figure out, is the easiest way to make the grommet hole bigger. It's such a tight space to work in.

owlxxx

mine are on top of the dash above the hazard lights button. Just cut a hole in the dash and installed the switch pod.

scoreh3

I cut up and modified a daystar 5 switch panel to fit over the change holder in front of the shifter . I'll try post a picture , Chris 06H3 posted pic's of mine a while back . On my son's F150 we used a flat piece of aluminum with smaller switches under the dash cup holders .

derian06

Red Rockett
I cut up and modified a daystar 5 switch panel to fit over the change holder in front of the shifter . I'll try post a picture , Chris 06H3 posted pic's of mine a while back . On my son's F150 we used a flat piece of aluminum with smaller switches under the dash cup holders .

I think i've seen your modded change holder, how is running the wires under there?

scoreh3

It was very easy , I cut the bottom out of the change holder and I have LOTS of room for the wires . I ran 1 power wire in to a small 6 fuse panel under the dash and a short wire runs to each switch.

derian06

Red Rockett
It was very easy , I cut the bottom out of the change holder and I have LOTS of room for the wires . I ran 1 power wire in to a small 6 fuse panel under the dash and a short wire runs to each switch.

Is there any way you could explain how to wire a switch panel properly? I've been reading up on how to do it, and it just isnt clicking for me.

SuperBuickGuy

hmmmm... this is mostly repost from my build section... but here it goes

I installed this

here

See the clip on the ring? that's what you're loosening to get out. The more often it's removed, the easier it is to get out - but do be gentle, otherwise you will be buying a new ring.
believe it or not, the console comes up fairly easily

First step is to unplug your front seats and unbolt them. The rear, inner bolts on both seats are what hold the console down. You don't absolutely have to remove the seats, but it's a whole lot easier if you do.

Once you remove the seats, pull the leatherette shift boot off. It is held on with clips. Gently grab the edge of the boot (there's a plastic ring under the leather), squeeze a bit, pull it up. Under the boot, you'll see a silver button on the passenger side (rear) of the shift lever. With your vehicle on flat ground and/or e-brake engaged, push the button and move the lever back. The center console comes out now by lifting up. If you leave the lever in Park, you won't have enough room to get the center console out.

obligatory puppy picture

scoreh3

Sorry I haven't posted any pics yet , I've been slammed at work and I'll get them for you . Super Buick's mount is a very low profile compared to the mine are monted . I do like his and it looks like his could be made to mount 6 switches .

Last edited: