• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer h2 duramax diy write up thread

djras1

Lets get a Hummer h2 duramax diy write up thread started

Hi Guys I would like to get a thread started on what it will take to get started on doing a diy duramax swap.
Ideas are welcome and I would like this thread to help us get a swap done.
Thanks

STEP 1.
WRECKED DURAMAX (YEAR DEPENDENT?)
STEP 2.

STEP 100.
BODY LIFT

Last edited:

Synthetickiller

This has been beaten to death... Just google...

2003 to 2007 should take the LBZ (I don't think there's any with the LLY, right?)
2008 to 2009 takes the LMM.

Keep in mind, this is the "simple" plug and play option. Duraburb has somehow converted 2003-2007s to take the LMM over the LBZ. Not sure how, but everything works. I think the group has also put LML in rigs that should take LMM.

The downside of the LMM is the DPF (diesel particulate filter) & the LML adds the requirement of urea for the DEF (diesel exhaust fluid injection).
IMO, if you have an 2003 to 2007 & can get enough power, stick w/ the LBZ, only because you have the least amount of BS to deal with. I'd go LMM, but I own an 09 & I'd get a DPF delete. I have no interest in the urea requirement & I just seems like another nightmare of an issue to deal with if it ever comes up.

You'll be looking for a compatible Allison transmission.

Like I said, just google... you'll get most of your answers.

Big2dabank

I like the duraburb guys and plan on visiting them one day to learn a little more about what they do, I assume they are still doing conversions. They are only about 40 mins from my house and according to the Florida Department of State, corporate records, they are still active and recently filed their annual report this year.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_r_Z00jnBPbyb5GI9UlAU9qqKTh4_aHC

Last edited:

Synthetickiller

I like the duraburb guys and plan on visiting them one day to learn a little more about what they do, I assume they are still doing conversions. They are only about 40 mins from my house and according to the Florida Department of State, corporate records, they are still active and recently filed their annual report this year.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_r_Z00jnBPbyb5GI9UlAU9qqKTh4_aHC

They are the closest to me & after reading about other places (Predator, Mash, H-Line), I think I'd still go to Duraburb, even if it was out of my way.
I recall predator being really good, but they are mostly an H1 specialty place & I've read they are the choice place for H2s.
Mash doesn't interest me in the slightest: http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3059&start=30 (Read the last post on that page)
H-Line was also said to be not so hot: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?3252-Goodwin-Assist-Hybrid-Electric-Kit

I have yet to hear of any issues w/ Duraburb, but I'm always on the lookout. The fact that they basically convert other GM SUVs means they get a lot more rotation of vehicles, but I could be wrong. The fact that they got an LBZ compatible vehicle to run an LMM w/o error codes & everything working impresses me to no end.

If you get around to it, please post your experience. I'd like to hear about their quality from someone who went there & talked to them directly.
They are about 600 miles from me, so it's not a short ride. I'd probably ship the H2 there.

djras1

Thank for the information but there is not just one place where to find all this information. The swap is a simple plug and play? From what I have been reading it is not.
ALso is there some frame modifications need to fit the motor and or transmission. I just wanna get all this information on a write up. Step by step so that anyone can do it.
Thanks to all those who are contributing and helping its appreciated.

autumn walker

ALso is there some frame modifications need to fit the motor and or transmission.

I am not, even remotely, an expert on this; however, my understanding is that there are no frame modifications required to fit the motor transmission - I think a body lift is required, but that's it.

LoJac963

Body lift I believe to fit the taller engine and intake tubing. From pics I've seen, cramming a duramax into an H2 leaves no room in the engine compartment. I'd love to do this but I couldn't even imagine the pain and heartache involved taking this on yourself.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Really don't think there is a DIY thread anywhere. Not just a swap and replace deal.

Big2dabank

This is a little more involved than just swapping out your motor/electronics with similar year Dmax motor/electronics. I think a reputable shop would make the most sense for most people, not saying it can't be done DIY, just way more involved than most folks can handle. A reputable shop would also be willing to warrant their work and help trouble shoot technical issues down the road.

CaseyS

NOTHING is too big for DIY. Just remember, the bigger the project, the more you better research before taking the plunge.

Step 1 is not buying a wrecked duramax. Step 1 is researching, planning and budgeting. Also setting an end goal for the initial stage of the project is important. Only about half the cost of the swap will be in the engine. All the other little things will add up quickly. Hoses, brackets, fluids, hardware, paint and cleaning, wire and connectors, etc.

dmimiller

Probationary Member
Planning and research is top priority. A budget can only be done after all research is completed.
I'm new to this fourm. I'm doing all the prep work to begin next year on swapping a 2004 Silverado Duramax into my 2004 H2. I'm sure some DIY individual has done the swap. It would be nice to have them on this fourm as well.

djras1

bump to the top

Planning and research is top priority. A budget can only be done after all research is completed.
I'm new to this fourm. I'm doing all the prep work to begin next year on swapping a 2004 Silverado Duramax into my 2004 H2. I'm sure some DIY individual has done the swap. It would be nice to have them on this fourm as well.

bump to the top

CaseyS

This is the second time you have bumped this without contributing anything new. Are you waiting for someone to publish a complete parts list and a how to manual?

djras1

Information

This is the second time you have bumped this without contributing anything new. Are you waiting for someone to publish a complete parts list and a how to manual?
I am trying to get more information if you are offended you can unsubscribe from this. I am not sure why it bothers you.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I think Casey is trying to get at that no one has done this and unfortunately most posts will be speculation, it will be up to you to be giving out the DIY info after you finish it. We can help along the way but until the motor is pulled and a new one is fitted in and your in the mist of a swap its all speculation on what will work or not work.

For example, when I did my engine swap a lot of us were under the impression that the v8 would hit the firewall because GM modified the firewall in 08+ H3s Sure enough the fitment wasnt bad at all while other things I didnt expect to be an issue were challenging. Its kind of a jump in as hope for the best. I would start by finding out what you will do for wiring, track down a motor/trans, see if chevy dmax mounts will transfer over and so on.

CaseyS

I am trying to get more information if you are offended you can unsubscribe from this. I am not sure why it bothers you.

OK, maybe you can start with some feedback on where your research is leading you. That may garner some feedback and discussion on your ideas. A topic bump waiting for new information on a topic that no one here is currently working on won't give you what you are seeking.

06H3 and I have both completed engine swaps. And they are not easy. There are no written manuals and no parts list. You have to assemble the research, make the phone calls and emails and determine what will work together and what will not. And once you get the hardware, you will still find a bunch of headaches and issues to solve. Once you decide to get started, get a build thread going on here. There are plenty of folks that like to see pictures and give advice, good or bad.

There may be only one or two guys that have passed through this forum that have had the duramax swap, and none of those to my knowledge did any of the work themselves.

Synthetickiller

Dieselplace has a subforum for frankenstein builds.
That seems like a good place to start. There's not much of a difference getting an LBZ or LMM (or LML if you're feeling frisky) into an H2, other than a few "issues" with space in the engine compartment & other similar 10 lbs of **** in a 5 lb bag problems.

djras1

OK, maybe you can start with some feedback on where your research is leading you. That may garner some feedback and discussion on your ideas. A topic bump waiting for new information on a topic that no one here is currently working on won't give you what you are seeking.

06H3 and I have both completed engine swaps. And they are not easy. There are no written manuals and no parts list. You have to assemble the research, make the phone calls and emails and determine what will work together and what will not. And once you get the hardware, you will still find a bunch of headaches and issues to solve. Once you decide to get started, get a build thread going on here. There are plenty of folks that like to see pictures and give advice, good or bad.

There may be only one or two guys that have passed through this forum that have had the duramax swap, and none of those to my knowledge did any of the work themselves.

Great so you have already done a swap and are saying that there are alot of issues. So since you have knowledge of this why don't you share what those are so whoever does it themselves wont have the same issues. I have done a couple engine swaps myself on other vehicles and the other forums with write ups and people actually willing to share information. I am not sure why this is a problem on this one. Maybe I am on the wrong site. I appreciate your input and i will close this if possible since its difficult for anyone to share their knowledge and experience on what they know.
Thanks

JPaul

djras1, considering Casey's swap was putting a diesel from a box van (if I remember correctly) into an H3, not a Duramax into an H2, he really has nothing he can provide you as it's a 100% different swap. And 06 H3's swap was a gas V8 into an H3, also 100% completely different. So no need to get all hurt that they aren't dispensing their wisdom/experience with you, as they'd just be causing confusion with your particular swap goals if they tried.

Seriously, bumping a thread that really does look like it was created to ask for a handout with a swap how to is just bad form on any forum. This forum is incredibly helpful unlike many other forums I have been on. But you cannot expect anyone to simply come along with a full how to as you appeared to be expecting with you initial posts when no one has written one (on this forum at least).

Now, has anyone swapped a Duramax into a H2? Possibly. Have you tried doing a Google search for it? If you have, then you've probably found that no one has done any kind of write up on it. If you didn't do a Google search, then please do one. I'm from the IT industry, and no matter what you are trying to figure out, Google is your friend. If you can't find it on Google, either you're searching for the wrong keywords, or the information just isn't out there on the interwebs.

I've done an engine swap before. Granted it was in a Dodge Neon, but it was still a swap that ended up requiring custom work. My saving grace on it, since it was my first one, was that this particular swap had been done many, many, many times already and there was a very detailed write up about it. However, even though this was something many people had done already, and there was a nicely written up how to on it, I still ran into issues that mysteriously were not covered anywhere, so I had to figure those bits out on my own.

When you're talking about a swap that either hasn't been done, or only one or two people have done it in the world and written about it, you're not going to be able to find a how to, or even compile one from input from others. All you can do is start doing research, like figuring out dimensional differences between the stock engine and the engine you are swapping in, what changes would need to be made to the control system and your gauge cluster and possibly transmission, costs, how much fabrication if any would need to be done, etc, etc.

This isn't an armchair kind of project, because once the metal hits the pavement, you'll run into all kinds of issues you or anyone else ever thought of. So far I have seen absolutely no real input from you on where to even start with this swap. Have you even figured out how everything works in the particular year H2 you want to swap into? I'm betting there are a number of differences inside the engine bay between the different years of H2's, so you really need to start out with the actual H2 you are going to do the swap on. Once you have that, try to obtain a factory service manual for that year, it's worth it's weight in gold in a project like this. Then start getting actual measurements from the actual H2 you are swapping into. See if it will even mount in OK and how much fabrication will need to be done to make it even physically bolt to the transmission and frame. And to do that you have to figure out which Duramax you are even going to use. What year/make/model vehicle is it going to come from? You can't just say "a Duramax" as that's like saying "a Hummer" since there are many variations of the Duramax diesel.

Once you've got the engine picked out, you'll need measurements for it in all 3 dimensions. Height, length, width at several points, where are the engine mounting locations, what is the transmission mounting setup like and is it even remotely the same as the transmission already in the H2 or are you going to use a different transmission? If using a different transmission then that is a whole other can of worms.

Next you need to figure out how you are going to control the engine, and if it will interface with the existing H2's control systems. Casey STILL doesn't have his diesel interfaced with his H3's factory cluster, and I think it's been a couple years now (correct me if I am wrong Casey).

Then you are kind of on your way to getting this done, but it's still going to require an awful lot of time, money, blood (oh, there will be blood!!), sweat, and tears. And possibly a divorce, if you're married.

But really, unless you can find someone that has actually done the exact swap you are thinking of, don't expect a lot of help from anyone. If anyone on here had done anything like what you are talking about, they would have chimed in already. Bumping the thread over and over without contributing a single useful thing to the conversation isn't going to do you any good but annoy the regulars on the forum. Like I said, the guys/gals on this forum are very very helpful. If you haven't gotten an answer yet it's because no one has anything to contribute to that end or has any interest in doing research for a swap they are never going to do.

If you start doing the work (since this is going to be your swap you're going to be doing all of the work, otherwise if you also weren't planning on doing any of the work yourself you'd just pony up the $20,000 or more to take it to a shop that specializes in custom engine swaps) and then ask for help on specific points, then you'd get useful input from everyone. But walking in and just throwing a thread on the forum that effectively says "Hey everyone, I want to do a swap and everyone could provide instructions on how to do this swap, that'd be great" (cue Office Space meme) is getting you exactly what you have seen so far. And if you tried this an any number of other forums (go try this on Pirate4x4 and see how much nicer they are there than here) you'd be flamed until you were a burnt crisp, then they'd resurrect the thread a couple months later and flame you again just to make sure. So you might think people on here are being pricks, but it's far from the truth, whether you want to acknowledge that or not.