• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Sunroof Drain Help Needed

cbetts

NERD!!!
Well, it appears my drains in the sunroof are blocked. I had mud dripping out of my OnStar mike today after washing. I really don't want to go research in thet other place and was hoping people would share the trick to cleaning these out. I seem to remember something about a bicycle brake cable.

Help? Pics would be good. I think I found the drains in the front part but can not find the back ones.

Thanks in advance.

benlaud87

you can use an air compressor with a hose to blow the buildup out. You just have to be careful not to blow the drain hoses off of where they attach

deserth3

There's a drain in each corner of the sun roof tub. I'm not sure where the back ones run down to. The front run down the A pillar to high up on the front firewall and stop there. You can follow them down by removing the inside molding on the A-pillar. Then the end of the dash panel just pulls off. The tube runs down to a connector in the firewall. It has a thin rubber membrane with a cross cut into it. I had to cut othe passenger side one on mine. Haven't had a preoblem since.
Good luck

cbetts

NERD!!!
I was reminded that I have a shop manual so I pulled it out and read . . .
2012-01-15_12-01-03_738.jpg

I started off with wire but it was unable to budge the clot. I quick burst of compressed air did the trick. Here is what blew out.
2012-01-15_11-59-18_225.jpg

Here are pics of the drains for future reference:
2012-01-15_11-58-02_157.jpg

2012-01-15_11-57-38_280.jpg

FOXedupONE

I have this problem to. Was going to blow some air in it.

Once the line is clear, will pouring a glass of water in there and looking for a puddle bellow the truck confirm that the line is clear and I did not blow any lines off? Thinking of just using a low psi air pump. Is there a specific place where the puddle forms when all is functioning well?

cbetts

NERD!!!
I have this problem to. Was going to blow some air in it.

Once the line is clear, will pouring a glass of water in there and looking for a puddle bellow the truck confirm that the line is clear and I did not blow any lines off? Thinking of just using a low psi air pump. Is there a specific place where the puddle forms when all is functioning well?

Yep! You should see a puddle just like the picture above (hopefully a little cleaner than mine!). The water should come out just behind the inner fender.

As the shop manual indicates, use a max of 35PSI on the air pressure.