• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Tranny Recommend?

LShummer

Well my transmission will not shift from second up to third, so think i need a rebuild. I’m going to make an appointment at a local shop to see what they charge to rebuild it and what the warranty is, does any body have an on-line order recommendation?

Also did the alpha and the standard have the same autotrans? Reason I ask my H3 is a mystery wagon. Someone swapped in a 2010 6.2L from an Esclade(i found casting numbers), when i scan pcm codes it shows 2010 H3T 5.3L, VIN is a 2007 H3 plain jane.

Alpha X

I hope someone will chime in with more information, but I am told that the automatic transmissions between the base and the Alpha are slightly different. If I recall correctly it's the input shaft that is different, can someone confirm?

Jeepwalker

I wouldn't think that would matter to an experienced tranny shop in terms of providing an estimate. Tell them what you know as you did above. They ought to be able to inspect it upon teardown and determine what the tranny it is or isn't. There's no way to know exactly what parts are worn or not (beyond the common wear items(clutches/seals/bearings).

Most shops are likely to provide a ballpark estimate and then do a teardown before they give a hard number. Or their price will include basic wear components and charge extra for severely worn parts. But if you decide to go with a particular shop, make SURE the actual tech doing the work KNOWS there's some ambiguity ..so he doesn't just assume it's for an H3 and ends up ordering the wrong parts w/o measuring/inspecting. That's the kind of thing that I can see getting mis-communicated, and then he orderes the wrong parts because 'nobody told me'.... So be proactive on that and save yourself some headaches. To answer your question, some people on this forum have gotten prices between $3k-$3500 for a tranny rebuild. Hopefully yours will be less than that.

Let us know what you're finding for price. I might be in your shoes in a year or two. How many miles on your Rig?

reaper

I have a similar issue-- mine won't shift to reverse. But the code on mine points to the solenoid not a whole tranny rebuild. That will be relatively easy once I clear out my garage and get her inside... do you have a code reader, and does it have any codes? Mine was P0741.

Jeepwalker

Good point. A 'good' scan tool with bi-directional capabilities like a GM Tech-II or Snap-On, or other "Pro" scannner, should be able to actuate the transmission solenoids and therefore determine if they're working fine (or not). If you know a buddy or shop which has one. The transmission shop should be able to do that too. But will they just want to rebuild it??