• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

No reverse

reaper

All of a sudden my h3 (2006, 120,000 miles) won't go into reverse. Drove to the store and back, reverse worked at the store, and driving back home we stopped to check if a guy was ok (big snowstorm today) and it wouldn't go in reverse.

I'm thinking the main culprit is jealousy, I spent some cash lifting my jeep. Other than that, any ideas? I tried shifting to 4high and back, it shifted but still can't get reverse.

reaper

Codes:

Attachments

• 20240316_184525.jpg
    20240316_184525.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 31

reaper

Google says: Resolving a P0741 code might require you to replace the torque converter clutch solenoid (TCC solenoid) of your vehicle. Similarly, you might have to replace your vehicle's transmission control module, also known as a TCM.

Is that the likely culprit? Or is this just part of a f'cked tranny? I really have not driven it that much this year... was driving it in wet snow when this happened.

Teahead

YOu still running stock battery terminals?

The PO of my rig told me that his newly built trans mission wouldn't shift out of 2nd or 3rd.

Took it to the shop again and they pulled the trans and rebuilt some more parts. Didn't help.

Until he put on new Stinger battery terminals.

650Hawk

Don't just "screw with the battery". Cut the damn stock battery terminals off and throw them as far as you can. Then install some good ones. These trucks are ridiculously sensitive to any and all voltage variations, and can throw a multitude of seemingly unrelated and random codes and issues. Trust me on this. Even if they look and feel good, they AREN'T!!!!

reaper

I haven't run stock ANYTHING for a very long time. Yeah they aren't stock. But since I'm throwing codes, I don't think it's the battery. And yeah, you're right-- my H3 is really sensitive, you are SPOT ON!!!! "These trucks are ridiculously sensitive to any and all voltage variations, and can throw a multitude of seemingly unrelated and random codes and issues." ... adding, including weather, altitude, sunlight, relative stress of the driver in case he/she should be stranded, a direct correlation to the inconvenience caused to the driver, phases of the moon, current astrology report.... and on and on!

Doc Olds

Google says: Resolving a P0741 code might require you to replace the torque converter clutch solenoid (TCC solenoid) of your vehicle. Similarly, you might have to replace your vehicle's transmission control module, also known as a TCM.

Is that the likely culprit? Or is this just part of a f'cked tranny? I really have not driven it that much this year... was driving it in wet snow when this happened.
2006s do not have a TCM, those were used 2008+. 2006 & 7s control the AT with the PCM.

Common failure of the 4L60E is ===== No Reverse. Usually some slipping in any forward gear along with that or right after.

Doc Olds

YOu still running stock battery terminals?

The PO of my rig told me that his newly built trans mission wouldn't shift out of 2nd or 3rd.

Took it to the shop again and they pulled the trans and rebuilt some more parts. Didn't help.

Until he put on new Stinger battery terminals.

Don't just "screw with the battery". Cut the damn stock battery terminals off and throw them as far as you can. Then install some good ones. These trucks are ridiculously sensitive to any and all voltage variations, and can throw a multitude of seemingly unrelated and random codes and issues. Trust me on this. Even if they look and feel good, they AREN'T!!!!

Very interesting these crappy azzed OEM Battery Terminal Connectors and using Stingers to correct electrical Gremlins. 😜
3wv1a0.jpg

reaper

2006s do not have a TCM, those were used 2008+. 2006 & 7s control the AT with the PCM.

Common failure of the 4L60E is ===== No Reverse. Usually some slipping in any forward gear along with that or right after.
K. I'm going to punt until after Black Sheep Week. Yikes, not sure I want to swap a tranny. Any cheap way to do this? She's got 115k miles.

reaper

So after talking with dealers, searching forums, all that-- I'm going to bring it into the garage, drop the transmission pan, and look at replacing the solenoids with something like this: https://www.mts-performance.com/product_info.php?products_id=424

That *could* do it, I'll also just swap the fluids when I'm at it, and we'll see what happens. There's no way I'm paying thousands to a shop on this at this stage of it's life. Worse that can happen is I wasted $230 but that's what the codes say isn't working right now. Not super confident in the fix but it's what I can afford (after spending too much on my jeep last month). Will take a but before I get started though, I need to move a jet ski from the garage. Maybe a summer project. The H3 is a third car for the house right now, so not super urgent.

Jeepwalker

These trucks are ridiculously sensitive to any and all voltage variations
True statement!! The PO of my H3 installed el-cheapo battery cable ends..and they were awful. Had problems too. I soldered a set of THESE on the ends of my H3's cables. They work great and look fantastic. I wrapped some red tape around the Pos side. Grounds are super important, so I also added a couple additional into the ground clamp before soldering on the Neg terminal, which I attached one to the body and the other to the engine. And got a new interstate battery. Haven't had electrical problems in years.

But that might not be your issue.

There's no way I'm paying thousands to a shop on this at this stage of it's life.
Only 120k?! That's like NEW!! Cheaper than a new Bronco or Rubicon...