• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2024 Black Sheep Week, Hurricane, UT - Mar 31-Apr 5

okcrewed

Probationary Member
Haven't been on the forum for quite some time, but it's been huge fun reading this thread on BSW. I live in St George, and though I have other commitments during BSW (!) if I can be of any assistance with "local information", just ask. Might be able to join ya'll the first few days.

Kurt

Any recommendations of where in Hurricane to look for a vacation rental? I Know in Moab I usually grab a place in Spanish Valley, is there somewhere similar in Hurricane.

Been daily driving my truck lately so everything is more or less running fine, I just need to re-sort my toolbox, and redo my aux lighting/radio setup in the next month.

4Lo-Tank

Any recommendations of where in Hurricane to look for a vacation rental? I Know in Moab I usually grab a place in Spanish Valley, is there somewhere similar in Hurricane.

Been daily driving my truck lately so everything is more or less running fine, I just need to re-sort my toolbox, and redo my aux lighting/radio setup in the next month.
We got a place at the resort really cheap

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Working on a proposed trail schedule for this year. As always, it's a suggestion and the daily preference of the group can override this - if people want something easier, harder, different, etc.

Thursday is an open day this year, so groups can choose a day at the lake, or others do some trails, others play tourist, etc. Friday is a trail that was scheduled for last year but couldn't be started, and is the trail choice most likely to change.

Read about the trails and trail ratings. A 6 challenges a stock H3, and a 7 challenges a lightly built H3 (i.e. my H3 with a lift and front/rear lockers). Most obstacles in Sand Hollow State Park have obstacles and a trail rated a 6 might have 8+ rated obstacles on it, with varying options ranging from 4-8.

Please provide any feedback you may have and any recommendations or requests.

TrailsRating
Sunday, March 31West Rim5-6
Monday, April 1Sliplock Gulch6, with tough optionals
Tuesday, April 2Tocquerville Falls and Rattlesnake Gulch2 and 7
Wednesday, April 3Wayne's World6
Thursday, April 4Open
Friday, April 5Michael's Loop4

rascole

When we run Wayne's World can we cut across and run the chute? It runs real close to the chute.
I was looking at that possibility also. Another possibility is on the open day Thursday. I am open to whatever.
1. Run it how we did last year and run straight to the Chute and back and have a short day to still run around town
2. Run Double Sammy with the Chute and make it a full day.
3. Add the Chute to Wayne's World on Wed.

jakesz28

Any of those options work. I was looking and Wayne's World is real close, just don't know how big the obstacles are between them.

I have to try out the Garmin Tread and see if it works better than my cell phone.

rascole

Any of those options work. I was looking and Wayne's World is real close, just don't know how big the obstacles are between them.

I have to try out the Garmin Tread and see if it works better than my cell phone.
Obstacles will be minimal, we took part of Wayne's World last year to get to the Chute. We came from the Sand Dune Hwy to the left. Wayne's World looks like the intersection is at the star in the middle running S to N. The intersection we would make a right and the Chute would be @ 1,000 feet.

1708549473027.png

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Going to have some H3 parts for sale and some free to take items when we're at Sand Hollow. This is almost all of it but I haven't double-checked yet. Not looking to ship anything at this time.

3/12/24 Edited list of remaining parts

ItemConditionSale PriceRetailClaimed
Eaton rear locker rebuild kitNew$140$2104lo-tank
AC Delco water pumpNew$25$48
Aftermarket power steering pumpNew$50$110
Air filtersNew$5
H3 open front diff, 4.56Usedask Rascole

Last edited:

reaper

I have a slightly used disassembled transfer case (all good parts) if anyone wants to make a deal and I'll bring it... (I gave up and just bought an assembled one installed... )
*adventure 4:1 ratio transfer case that is

jakesz28

Going to have some H3 parts for sale and some free to take items when we're at Sand Hollow. This is almost all of it but I haven't double-checked yet. Not looking to ship anything at this time.

ItemCondition
AC Delco CV shaftNew
AC Delco CV shaftNew
AC Delco CV shaftNew
AC Delco CV shaftUsed
Steering rack with tie rodsUsed
Cardone CV ShaftNew
AC Delco front rotorsNew
Eaton rear locker rebuild kitNew
AC Delco water pumpNew
Aftermarket power steering pumpNew
Air filtersNew
GM Power steering capNew
GM radiator capNew
Dorman CV jointNew
Misc ujointsNew
Misc axle sealsNew
Rhino traction boardsUsed
WipersNew
Center capsUsed
Front turn signalsUsed
Did you start a solid axle swap? Or unloading a big stash?

reaper

So I'm considering... do I lift my [censored] before black sheep week without trail-testing it first... or just bring it stock? I did Poison Spider on it just fine (with some great spotting, and a LOT of sliding). It's the rubicon so it's not super low, but its only got baby 33s on it right now. I do hesitate to mod something right before a week long offroading week... (Ignore that this question is not about a hummer LOL)

rascole

So I'm considering... do I lift my [censored] before black sheep week without trail-testing it first... or just bring it stock? I did Poison Spider on it just fine (with some great spotting, and a LOT of sliding). It's the rubicon so it's not super low, but its only got baby 33s on it right now. I do hesitate to mod something right before a week long offroading week... (Ignore that this question is not about a hummer LOL)
Do you have protection? (Insert sarcasm) Will help with lack of clearance and no testing needed.

reaper

Yeah it has pretty good sliders. Probably safer to slide than to lift and drive 9 hours to Utah! Either way I expect yall to make fun of my girlie jeep.
fuckit I did buy a 3.5 inch lift kit... will see if it gets installed before or after the trip, but I'm really looking forward to this. :)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Minimally, one needs good protection for Rattlesnake Gulch. Lots of river crossings with hidden boulders. Difficulty will depend on the height of the water.

EndeavoredH3

ItemCondition
AC Delco CV shaftNew
AC Delco CV shaftNew
AC Delco CV shaftNew
AC Delco CV shaftUsed
Cardone CV ShaftNew
AC Delco front rotorsNew
AC Delco water pumpNew
Air filtersNew
GM Power steering capNew
GM radiator capNew
Dorman CV jointNew
Misc ujointsNew
Misc axle sealsNew
Rhino traction boardsUsed
WipersNew
Center capsUsed
Front turn signalsUsed
I would like the Eaton rebuild kit, unless of course it’s the Sandhallow crews first Pickens.

4Lo-Tank

ItemCondition
AC Delco CV shaftNew
AC Delco CV shaftNew
AC Delco CV shaftNew
AC Delco CV shaftUsed
Cardone CV ShaftNew
AC Delco front rotorsNew
AC Delco water pumpNew
Air filtersNew