• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer H3 Tube Doors - Acer4LO

Acer4LO

So last weekend I happened to stumble across somthing really rare on craigslist: a custom set of Hummer H3 Tube Doors! Finally after on criagslist for over a year of stupid crap, I found somthing good! I didn't waste any time and bought them straight away. I thought I should share some photos to give people some ideas different ideas if they are interested in making their own.

I think the cost to have a shop make them for you would be somewhere around $1200-$1500. $800 for materials and $400-$700 for welding labour. The guy that I bought the doors from said he just paid $800 for materials and he got labour free. I am guessing the free labour was probably a good friend. If I am not mistaken I am the 3rd person to have a set a tube behind Bebe and SlcHummer.

i-Wc6zP4w-X5.jpg

i-V2b8qqS-X5.jpg

i-6MwcKTL-X5.jpg

i-fXsjQLR-X5.jpg

Functional Door Design Can be used as a ladder to get to the roof.

i-H9W98df-X5.jpg

i-DpzJxJ6-X5.jpg

i-vNTcRqk-X5.jpg

i-PTFfmc2-X5.jpg

i-phbnq4L-X5.jpg

Factory H3 Door Hinge is Used To Mount These. This hinges were taken off the factory door. I plan to buy new hinges so I can keep my factory hinges on my full doors.

i-ffkjnsf-X5.jpg

i-58MNLNG-X5.jpg

i-Rqs6mLn-X5.jpg

Part of the tube sticks out and pushes in the factory door sensor. This allows you to use your H3 normally not having to work about the "Doors" messsage on the cluster and your dome lights staying on all the time.

i-r32fpjb-X5.jpg

Last edited:

Traxx

If I was making a set of these I would try and incorporate the factory door release into them. Those front doors are heavy, how do you get them off and on?

Happy Hummer

No thank you I'll pass. I find them to be out of place on a Hummer. The H3 is just not a candidate for tube doors. Neither is the Jeep xj (Cherokee). It just looks out of place jmho.
I had diy tube doors on my Wrangler and it seemed fitting but the swapping was hard on my lower back and stuff.
I sold em along with all the other odds and ends to a fellow from town over.
Now if it were and custom half door akin to older yj Wranglers that would be kinda nice. Those had shape and body to em and they had nice upper fabric, vinyl skins.

SlcHummer

Very nice write up! I need to do a detailed write up on the doors I bought as well since the doors are not perfect and would like to educate others on attempting the same mod.

I find the mixed reactions entertaining, from people asking me to to take pictures of the doors to others shaking their heads as they roll past me lol. It's not for everyone, but it's working great for me right now :). Congrats on the buy Acer4LO

SlcHummer

I'll likely do my write up after successfully securing the front of the rear fender flares to the tube doors. It's taken some trial and error but I'm close to having it done, along with some safari nets to help prevent the chihuahua from rolling out of the rig on sharp turns :O

Acer4LO

If I was making a set of these I would try and incorporate the factory door release into them. Those front doors are heavy, how do you get them off and on?

Yeah I like the idea. I kind of want to modify the doors and put on a set OEM mirrors and fenders to these mimic the real doors, but OEM parts are so dang expensive!! For me getting the front doors off and on isn’t too bad. They do weigh like 80-90lbs but I am a decently strong guy and tall so they aren’t a problem. Lining them back up can be tricky sometimes. Usually it takes me about 20 minutes to get the front doors back on. I make it easier on my self by putting the door on top of a power packer storage container so I only have the lift the door a couple inches up instead of starting from the ground. When I do this, I also take off my cowl/fake breathe cap piece because it is in the way.

No thank you I'll pass. I find them to be out of place on a Hummer. The H3 is just not a candidate for tube doors. Neither is the Jeep xj (Cherokee). It just looks out of place jmho.
I had diy tube doors on my Wrangler and it seemed fitting but the swapping was hard on my lower back and stuff.
I sold em along with all the other odds and ends to a fellow from town over.
Now if it were and custom half door akin to older yj Wranglers that would be kinda nice. Those had shape and body to em and they had nice upper fabric, vinyl skins.

I do agree that half doors on an H3 would definitely be a lot more functional. I have been trying to locate a set of used doors of a wrecked H3, but everyone wants $500 per door. Trying to keep the price under $300 because I still have to spend money on materials to modify them/

Very nice write up! I need to do a detailed write up on the doors I bought as well since the doors are not perfect and would like to educate others on attempting the same mod.

I find the mixed reactions entertaining, from people asking me to to take pictures of the doors to others shaking their heads as they roll past me lol. It's not for everyone, but it's working great for me right now . Congrats on the buy Acer4LO

Yeah I think it is a love-it or hate-it type thing. For me, I really like it because it gives that doors-off feel, but gives me back a few nice features like the dome lights and the alarm system working normally. I know you can just reach into my H3 and grab whatever you want, but I still like the peace of mind it gives me.

fanugy

I have my burn-out doors. Yours for shipping/packaging from Phoenix area- I have pallets, maybe just Saran Wrap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I have my burn-out doors. Yours for shipping/packaging from Phoenix area- I have pallets, maybe just Saran Wrap?

Burn out doors? I have half door fronts that I made from junkyard doors and would love rears!

fanugy

Yours if you want them. Same deal. You may just have to meet me halfway so I can look at your world famous rig!

Traxx

Half doors would be the ticket. Along with a regular latch system you wouldn't be bored as heck with no music...

Panzer07

I like them a bit basic but funtional... pretty good for shaving a lot of the weight from the 4 factory doors.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SlcHummer

I carry a set of headphones with me pretty much everywhere and throw one ear bud in so I can listen to tunes yet still be aware of my surroundings. I haven't put any effort into looking for one but ideally I'd like to find a good quality bluetooth sound bar/speaker that I can throw in my vehicle while I have the doors off and so I can ditch the headphones. However before then I need to build me a rear storage locking box that I can stash various items in to secure them.

Acer4LO

Small update. Added mirrors to the tube doors. Went with the SmittyBilt 7694 Half door mirrors. They were a bit on the pricey side of things, but they look way better than a cheap $30 ones on Amazon. Welded a plate of metal on to them, got longer cone shaped machine screws, and put them on!

i-8pjKZW9-2086x1440.jpg

i-JGgpg4N-2086x1440.jpg

i-wPfFCZk-2086x1440.jpg

i-psvLFmc-2086x1440.jpg

i-TJv7s65-2086x1440.jpg

i-bv58JjF-2086x1440.jpg

Panzer07

Small update. Added mirrors to the tube doors. Went with the SmittyBilt 7694 Half door mirrors. They were a bit on the pricey side of things, but they look way better than a cheap $30 ones on Amazon. Welded a plate of metal on to them, got longer cone shaped machine screws, and put them on!

i-8pjKZW9-2086x1440.jpg

i-JGgpg4N-2086x1440.jpg

i-wPfFCZk-2086x1440.jpg

i-psvLFmc-2086x1440.jpg

i-TJv7s65-2086x1440.jpg

i-bv58JjF-2086x1440.jpg
They look sick [emoji1598][emoji1360]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

adhtx

As soon as my house is done and a have a secure place to store my hummer, my doors are getting tuned into half door with the factory handlesIMG_0246.jpg

Acer4LO

old post, not sure if he's even on here anymore, but if he is.. thanks man, your posts, pics, and vids are an inspiration for my h3 build
I am still here man! I don't post much on H4O but I am still active on YouTube and Facebook. If you have any questions about the tube doors, let me know. I haven't actually used them in about three years now. They are awesome doors but the problem the weather conditions need to be just right for me to use them at an event. Gotta be sunny all weekend when I go on a wheeling trip. I will be going to Windrock park in Oak Ridge Tennessee in July, so I am hoping it will be hot and sunny all weekend so I can put them on and I don't have to worry about rain.

650Hawk

Sorry, still just can't get into them without the rear fenders. Surprising to me that no one has done that in the years since these were first made/envisioned.