• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Recent content by cathairez

  1. C

    Replacing vs Rebuilding 5.3 in Alpha

    I am trying to fix it, since the leak seems to be found. I put thread seal on tonight, but its one of the long bolts with hardly any threads. I'm hoping to do it all myself, broke rib is killing me though. I just am curious now what size bolts hold the rack and pinion on. Tried watching a...
  2. C

    Replacing vs Rebuilding 5.3 in Alpha

    In case I do have to do this myself, what size bolt/nut is the one that runs vertically up through the cross member, the nut is kind of almost under the radiator (just going from memory), on the rack and pinion. I know the horizontal are supposed to be 18 and 24 mm, just the vertical I'm not...
  3. C

    Replacing vs Rebuilding 5.3 in Alpha

    Used dye after cleaning engine, it's coming from under the head of the rear oil pan bolts on passenger side. Close to 2qt a week depending on how much I drive. Friend suggested thread sealer since bolt is super tight already apparently. Will try that soon.
  4. C

    Replacing vs Rebuilding 5.3 in Alpha

    Bought more dye, going to retest to tomorrow night. Broke a rib tonight just leaning over the chair arm. Too sore to try at the moment. Shop said they would replace that gasket, 2 hours labor. So if I see more dye there I will probably let them do it. Gasket was about $50 on Amazon vs near $70...
  5. C

    Replacing vs Rebuilding 5.3 in Alpha

    I used that same dye pictured. It took about 5 minutes of idling. I had cleaned it with the gunk spray can product. Engine was spotless. I saw a single drip, switched off the engine and started shining my light. It had formed on the back bolt of the oil pan, passenger side. I put my ratchet on...
  6. C

    Replacing vs Rebuilding 5.3 in Alpha

    Yeah, the motor runs fine in my opinion. The only thing I could come up with is oil pan somewhere or rear main seal. There's no oil smoke, and when driving it's clearly burning outside the engine (can smell the oil on the exhaust and see it all underneath when you stop). It may fall apart today...
  7. C

    Replacing vs Rebuilding 5.3 in Alpha

    I will probably do the rebuild, but this will put my vehicle out of commission for a while. I have no garage to work in, so at mercy of weather, constantly sick with colitis to the point of needing blood transfusions, have broken ribs just lifting my own weight off the ground. Then I'm no...
  8. C

    Replacing vs Rebuilding 5.3 in Alpha

    Looks like rebuild kits aren't easy to find.
  9. C

    Replacing vs Rebuilding 5.3 in Alpha

    I have a 2008 H3 Alpha. It has around 190k miles and is developing quite a bad oil leak. I tried the UV dye, only place the dye ever showed was the back oil pan bolt on passenger side. It wasn't as tight as the others, snugged it a bit and it seemed to help for a time. Then puddles started...
Top